Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Monday, December 31, 2001

Neighbor Island briefs

Advertiser Staff and News Services


Hiker killed on Maui identified

A Maui hiker who died in a fall has been identified as David George Toeller of Kula.

Toeller, 53, was hiking Saturday with a companion along the Piina'au Stream on an East Maui Irrigation Co. trail when he fell more than 200 feet to his death, police said.

The Maui Fire Department rescue helicopter was sent to the scene after his companion hiked back about three miles to Hana Highway to summon help.

The body was recovered and airlifted to Maui Memorial Medical Center.

Drought over in Upcountry

The drought emergency for Upcountry Maui has been rescinded by the county's Board of Water Supply.

The declaration was issued in March 2000, with water conservation encouraged but not required.

The board also decided last week to adopt water director David Craddick's statement that water supplies are adequate, canceling a determination of inadequacy issued eight years ago.

In addition, the board sent to public hearing a rule solidifying the Upcountry priority list for new water meters.

Craddick was told not to begin issuing more meters Upcountry.

The board also made minor adjustments to a new schedule of water system development fees, which would provide additional money to expand the system.

Flight delay lasts 17 hours

Nearly 200 people had their trip to Canada delayed nearly a day when Air Canada postponed its flight from Kahului to Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday night.

The flight was scheduled to leave at 10:30 p.m., but passengers were told it had been delayed until midnight.

Dr. Bobby Baker, a Maui oncologist, said he and other passengers were told around midnight that the flight had been canceled because the airline didn't have a flight crew.

Baker said passengers were told to return Saturday for a 10 a.m. flight, but were told when they checked in that the flight would not leave until 11:15 because the battery on the plane needed to be replaced.

Baker said the aircraft's pilot met with the passengers around 3 p.m. and told them he felt it was safe for the plane to fly to Honolulu and get a new battery before heading to Vancouver.

The flight to Honolulu was scheduled for 4 p.m., but an Air Canada flight information clerk said the plane left Maui at 3:45 p.m. yesterday on a direct flight to Vancouver.

It was not known how the battery problem was resolved.