No cost to share your good news in 'Ohana
If you recently got married or engaged, gave birth to or adopted a baby, observed a special birthday or anniversary, won a big award or celebrated some other major landmark, you are invited to share the good news here in the 'Ohana section.
Getting listed is absolutely free, with no strings attached. And it's easy!
For engagement, wedding, birth, birthday and anniversary announcements, you can obtain an official form in these ways:
- Download forms
- Call the 'Ohana section at 535-8174; we'll mail a form to you.
- Pick up a form at the front desk of the News Building, 605 Kapi'olani Blvd.
Questions? Call 535-8174.
Present and former Hawai'i residents and Hawai'i-based military people are eligible.
The small print
Before you get started, here are a few important things to know.
And be sure to check whether an official document is required for your type of announcement; we can't print your announcement without it.
- For births: Only parents named on the birth certificate can be mentioned. At least one parent must be a current or former Hawai'i resident or Hawai'i-stationed military member.
You must attach a photocopy of your baby's official state-issued birth certificate.
- For adoptions: Announcements will be made for adoptions of babies who are 1 year old or younger at the date of adoption.
A copy of official documentation of the adoption must be provided. Please call 535-8174 for more information.
- For engagements and weddings: At least one person in the couple must be a current or former Hawai'i resident or Hawai'i-stationed military member.
Engagements may be announced up to six months before the wedding.
You must attach one of the following: a copy of the reservation for the church, hotel or other wedding venue; a copy of the official state-issued marriage license; or a signed letter from the wedding officiant.
Weddings may be announced up to six months after the event. You must attach a copy of your official state-issued certificate of marriage.
- For celebrations: We announce special anniversaries the 10th, 25th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th and 75th anniversaries, and other major landmarks.
We also announce yakudoshi, kanreki, bar and bat mitzvahs; the first, 13th, 21st, 50th, 75th and 100th birthdays and other special birthdays.
- For achievements: If you have an achievement or award to announce, send us a letter about it and attach a copy of the certificate, notifying letter or other proof.
We are printing pictures for births; adoptions; weddings; special birthdays, including the 100th birthday; and special anniversaries, when space is available.
These photos are optional, but please label them with name(s) of person(s) pictured.
Due to the volume of mail we receive, we cannot return pictures or other materials, so please be sure to send us copies that you can spare.