James Beard nominees include 2 Islanders
|George Mavrothalassitis is among the James Beard award nominees.|
The coveted James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards are the "Oscars" of the culinary world, recognizing chefs, restaurants, sommeliers, cookbooks, food and wine writers and broadcast media programs in the world of food.
Regional chefs are recognized for setting new or consistent standards of excellence and must have been a working chef for at least five years, three of which must have been spent in the region where the chef is presently working. Roy Yamaguchi and Alan Wong are previous recipients of the James Beard regional chef awards.
The awards are presented annually; this year's winners will be announced April 30 in New York City.
Mavrothalassitis is the chef/owner of Chef Mavro restaurant in Honolulu and previously was the senior executive chef of the Four Seasons Resort Maui and chef de cuisine of its Seasons restaurant. Prior to that, he was the executive chef of the Halekulani Hotel and chef of La Mer restaurant.
Merriman is the chef/owner of Bamboo Bistro at Ma'alaea, Maui. He is also the owner of Merriman's in Waimea, Hawai'i, and corporate chef for TS Restaurants, overseeing the kitchen at Hula Grill in Ka'anapali, Maui. Merriman is considered the founding father of the Hawaii Regional Cuisine movement, which 10 years ago began to focus on Hawai'i's bounty of food products.
Here is a complete listing of nominees for the James Beard restaurant awards.
All-Clad Metalcrafters Outstanding Chef Award
- Hubert Keller, Fleur de Lys, San Francisco
- Alfred Portale, Gotham Bar & Grill, New York
- Nobu Matsuhisa, Nobu, New York/Matsuhisa, Los Angeles, CA/Nobu, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Eric Ripert, Le Bernardin, New York
- Patrick O'Connell, The Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Va.
San Pellegrino Outstanding Restaurant Award
- Campanile, Los Angeles; owners/chefs: Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton
- Montrachet, New York; owner: Drew Nieporent, chef: Harold Moore
- Chanterelle, New York, owners: Karen & David Waltuck, chef: David Waltuck
- Valentino, Santa Monica, Calif., owner: Piero Selvaggio, chef: Angelo Auriana
- Chinois on Main, Santa Monica, CA, owners: Wolfgang Puck & Barbara Lazaroff, chef: Takashi Iwasaki
illy Best New Restaurant Award
- Alain Ducasse, New York, owner/chef: Alain Ducasse
- Esca, New York, owners: Joe Bastianich & Mario Batali, chef: David Pasternack
- Blue Hill, New York, owner/chef: Dan Barber, chef: Alex Urena
- Summer Shack, Cambridge, MA, owner/chef: Jasper White
- Elisabeth Daniel, San Francisco, owners/chef: Daniel Patterson & Elisabeth Ramsey
Grey Poupon Rising Star Chef of the Year
- Eric Aubriot, Restaurant Aubriot, Chicago
- James McDevitt, Restaurant Hapa, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Ludovic Lefebvre, L'Orangerie, West Hollywood, Calif.
- Galen Zamarra, Bouley Bakery, New York
- Amanda Lydon, formerly of Truc, Boston, Mass.
Dolce Outstanding Pastry Chef Award
- Karen Barker, Magnolia Grill, Durham, N.C.
- Amy Scherber, Amy's Bread, New York
- Florian Bellanger, Le Bernardin, New York
- Sherry Yard, Spago Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills, Calif.
- Gale Gand, Tru, Chicago, IL
American Express Best Chefs in America
- American Express Best Chef: California
- Philippe Jeanty, Bistro Jeanty, Yountville, Calif.
- Mark Peel, Campanile, Los Angeles
- Michael Mina, Aqua, San Francisco
- Hiro Sone, Terra, St. Helena, Calif.
- Nancy Oakes, Boulevard, San Francisco
American Express Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic
- Ann Cashion, Cashion's Eat Place, Washington, D.C.
- Peter Pastan, Obelisk, Washington, D.C.
- Todd Gray, Equinox, Washington, D.C.
- Guillermo Pernot, Pasion!, Philadelphia
- Jean-Marie Lacroix, Fountain Restaurant at The Four Seasons Hotel, Philadelphia
American Express Best Chef: Midwest
- Mark Baker, Seasons Restaurant at The Four Seasons Hotel, Chicago
- Odessa Piper, L'Etoile, Madison, Wisc.
- Jean-Robert de Cavel, Maisonette, Cincinnati
- Rick Tramonto, Tru, Chicago
- Michael Kornick, MK, Chicago
- Takashi Yagahashi, Tribute, Farmington Hills, Mich.
American Express Best Chef: New York
- Mario Batali, Lupa, Babbo, Esca, New York
- Rocco DiSpirito, Union Pacific, New York
- Andrew Carmellini, CafÚ Boulud, New York
- Michael Romano, Union Square CafÚ, New York
- Christian Delouvrier, Lespinasse at the St. Regis Hotel, New York
American Express Best Chef: Northeast
- Jean-Louis Gerin, Restaurant Jean-Louis, Greenwich, Conn.
- Frank McClelland, L'Espalier, Boston
- Steve Johnson, Blue Room, Cambridge, Mass.
- Ken Oringer, Clio at The Eliot Suites Hotel Boston
- Barbara Lynch, No. 9 Park, Boston
American Express Best Chef: Northwest / Hawai'i
- Philippe Boulot, The Heathman at The Heathman Hotel, Portland, Ore.
- George Mavrothalassitis, Chef Mavro Restaurant, Honolulu
- Greg Higgins, Higgins, Portland, Ore.
- Peter Merriman, Merriman's Bamboo Bistro, Wailuku
- Tim Kelley, The Painted Table at the Alexis Hotel, Seattle
American Express Best Chef: Southwest
- Bruce Auden, Biga on the Banks, San Antonio, Texas
- Todd Slossberg, Century Room at Hotel Jerome, Aspen, Colo.
- Tim Keating, Deville Restaurant at The Four Seasons Hotel, Houston
- Mark Tarbell, Tarbell's, Phoenix
- Robert McGrath, Roaring Fork Restaurant, Scottsdale, Ariz.
American Express Best Chef: Southeast
- Anne Kearney, Peristyle, New Orleans
- Frank Stitt, Highlands Bar & Grill, Birmingham, Ala.
- Louis Osteen, Louis's, Charleston, S.C.
- Robert Waggoner, Charleston Grill at Charleston Place Hotel, Charleston, S.C.
- Anne Quatrano/Clifford Harrison, Bacchanalia/Floataway CafÚ, Atlanta, Ga.
Sub-Zero Freezer Outstanding Wine Service Award
- Cafe Annie, Sommelier: Paul Roberts, Houston
- Mary Elaine's at the Phoenician, Wine Director: Greg Tressner, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- French Laundry, Sommelier: Bobby Stuckey, Yountville, Calif.
- Patina, Wine Director: Chris Meeske, Los Angeles
- March, Wine Director: Joseph Scalice, New York
Hudson Valley Foie Gras Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional Award
- Gerald Asher, Gourmet Magazine, San Francisco
- Fritz Maytag, Anchor Brewing Co., San Francisco
- Paul Draper, Ridge Vineyards, Cupertino, Calif.
- Helen Turley, Marcassin Winery, Calistoga, Calif.
- Evan Goldstein, Seagram Chateau & Estate Wines Co., Rutherford, Calif.
Restaurant Trade Outstanding Service Award
- Boulevard, Owners: Pat Kuleto & Nancy Oakes, San Francisco
- Frontera Grill/Topolobampo, Owners: Deann & Rick Bayless, Chicago
- Charlie Trotter's, Owner: Charlie Trotter, Chicago
- Gramercy Tavern, Owner: Danny Meyer & Tom Colicchio, New York
- Daniel, Owners: Daniel Boulud & Joel Smilow, New York
KitchenAid Book Awards nominees
- "Commander's Kitchen" by Ti Adelaide Martin & Jamie Shannon, Broadway Books, $35.
- "Terra: Cooking from the Heart of Napa Valley" by Hiro Sone & Lissa Doumani, Ten Speed Press, $40.
- "Tom Douglas' Seattle Kitchen" by Tom Douglas, William Morrow, $30.
Baking and Desserts
- "Artisan Baking Across America: The Breads, The Bakers, The Best Recipes" by Maggie Glezer, Artisan, $40.
- "Cookies Unlimited" by Nick Malgieri, Harper Collins, $35.
- "In the Sweet Kitchen" by Regan Daley, Random House Canada, $34.
Entertaining and Special Occasions
- "Bon Appetit the Christmas Season" by the Editors of Bon AppÚtit, Random House/Clarkson Potter, $29.95.
- "R.S.V.P." by Nan Kempner, Clarkson Potter, $40.
- "Savor the Moment" by Junior League of Boca Raton, Junior League of Boca Raton, $28.95.
- "How to Cook Without a Book" by Pam Anderson, Broadway Books, $25.
- "Think Like a Chef: by Tom Colicchio, Clarkson Potter, $37.50.
- "Staffmeals from Chanterelle" by David Waltuck & Melicia Phillips, Workman Publishing, $29.99.
- Healthy Focus
- "Crazy Plates" by Janet Podleski & Greta Podleski, Perigee, $19.95.
- "Healthy Jewish Cooking" by Steven Raichlen, Penguin Putnam/Viking Division, $29.95.
- "Special Foods for Special Kids: Practical Solutions & Great Recipes for Children with Food Allergies" by Todd Adelman & Jodi Behrend, Robert D. Reed Publishers, $16.95.
- "Anne Willan: From My Chateau Kitchen" by Anne Willan, Clarkson Potter Publishers, $45.
- "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia" by Jeffrey Alford & Naomi Duguid, Artisan, $40.
- "Mexico One Plate at a Time" by Rick Bayless with JeanMarie Brownson and Deann Groen Bayless, Simon & Schuster, $35.
- "How to Cook Meat" by Christopher Schlesinger & John Willoughby, William Morrow, $35.
- "The Good Egg" by Marie Simmons, Houghton Mifflin Company, $27.
- "The Herbfarm Cookbook" by Jerry Traunfeld, Simon & Schuster, $40.
- "The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen" by Peter Berley, Regan Books/Harper Collins $35.
- "3 Bowls: Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist Monastery" by Seppo Ed Farrey & Nancy O'Hara, Houghton Mifflin Co., $17.
- "This Can't Be Tofu" by Deborah Madison, Broadway Books, $15.
Wine and Spirits
- "American Vintage: The Rise of American Wine" by Paul Lukacs, Houghton Mifflin Co., $28.
- "Great Wine Made Simple" by Andrea Immer, Broadway Books, $25.
- "The Oxford Companion to the Wines of North America" by Bruce Cass & Jancis Robinson, Oxford University Press, $45.
Writing and Reference
- "Cambridge World History of Food" by Professor Kenneth F. Kiple & Kriemhild Cone¶ Ornelas, Cambridge University Press, $150.
- "Pot on the Fire: Further Exploits of a Renegade Cook" by John Thorne with Matt Lewis Thorne, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, $25.
- "The Best Thing I Ever Tasted" by Sallie Tisdale, Riverhead Books, $25.95.
Best Food Photography
- "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia" by Jeffrey Alford & Naomi, photography by Jeffry Alford, Duguid, Artisan, $40.
- "Flavors" by Donna Hay, photography by Petrina Tinslay, Whitecap Books Ltd., $24.95.
- "Noodles: The New Way" by Sri Owen, photography by Gus Filgate, Villard Books, $24.95.
2001 James Beard Foundation/Viking Range Broadcast Media Awards
- Viking Range Best National Television Cooking Show
- Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, Hosts: Julia Child & Jacques PÚpin, PBS.
- The Naked Chef, Host: Jamie Oliver, Food Network.
- The New Jewish Cuisine, Host: Jeff Nathan, PBS.