Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Wednesday, May 9, 2001

Suspect in hit-and-run says truck was stolen

By Brandon Masuoka
Advertiser Staff Writer

The 22-year-old construction worker who was arrested and later released in connection with a fatal hit-and-run of a patrol officer last month in Windward O'ahu told police that two assailants attacked him and stole the pickup truck involved in the death, according to police documents.

HPD veteran Danny Padayao died while he was setting up flares on Kamehameha Highway.

Honolulu Police Department

The man gave his statement to police outside a Waikane home following the April 30 accident on Kamehameha Highway near Johnson Road.

The construction worker, who police said appeared to have been drinking, said he had just been jumped by two men who then told him to walk away from the truck.

The construction worker could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The man is suspected of running down officer Danny Padayao, 46, with a borrowed blue 1994 Chevrolet pickup truck and then fleeing the scene.

Padayao, an 18-year HPD veteran, was setting up flares for an earlier traffic accident when he was hit by the truck. He died at Castle Medical Center. Padayao's beat partner, Frederick Apo, 42, was also injured when a car ran over his foot as he rushed to help Padayao.

Police tracked the pickup truck to the registered owner, a Waikane woman. Upon reaching the home, the woman's boyfriend came out and told police, "You're here for my truck, my truck was in an accident."

The man told police that his cousin, the construction worker, had borrowed the truck earlier that evening and had just returned and said that two men had jumped him and taken the truck.

The construction worker emerged from the house wearing wet clothing and muddy socks and boots, according to police. He also had cuts and scratches on his legs and shins as if he had been running through brush, police said.

As the construction worker walked toward officers, he was unsteady on his feet, police said. As he got closer, his face and ears appeared flush and he had red, watery, bloodshot and glassy eyes. Police said he smelled strongly of alcohol, was incoherent and had difficulty putting words together.

Police said two witnesses identified the construction worker and he was arrested that night on suspicion of first-degree negligent homicide, suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, failure to give information and render aid, and having an open liquor container in the truck. He refused to take breath and blood tests.

The construction worker, who was released May 1 pending further investigation, has not been charged.