World Ocean Games set for O'ahu beaches
The Hawaiian Airlines World Ocean Games will take place at various sites around O'ahu May 25-June 3.
Some events, which include surfing and swimming competitons, are open to the public, while others are by invitation only.
For more information, visit: http://www.oceangames.com, or call the numbers listed for each event.
- Waikiki Ocean Mile Swim: The May 28 event, open to the public, will begin at 8 a.m. in front of the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel. Entry fee is $25, which includes a T-shirt and continental breakfast. Information: 521-4322.
- World Ocean Games Kite Surfing Championship: Some of the top professional kite surfers, including Robbie Naish and Dave Kalama, will compete in the May 31 event at 10 a.m. Practice sessions are scheduled in the days leading up to the event. The competition could extend to June 1, depending on the wind. Information: 521-4322.
- Hawaiian International Ocean Challenge: Teams of lifeguards from Hawai'i, New Jersey, California, Florida, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and Canada will compete June 1-2 at Makapu'u and Kailua beaches. The competition, which is invitation only, will include a 3.4-mile paddleboard race, surf rescue swim, swim relay, outrigger canoe race and more. Information: 521-4322.
- T&C Air Invitational Surfing Contest: This invitation-only event will feature surfers demonstrating a new style of surfing, where they launch themselves off waves on ultra-light surfboards. The contest is June 2 at Kuhio Beach from noon to 10 a.m. Information: 483-8383.
- T&C Grom Contest: Showcasing up-and-coming surfers, this event is open to youths from ages 4-14. The contest will be June 2-3 at Kuhio Beach from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Information: 483-8383.
- Outrigger Waikiki King's Race: This event is open to the public and features a 1-mile beach run, 3-mile surf ski, 1-mile ocean swim and 1 mile on a paddleboard. The June 3 event is open to professional and amateur athletes. The competition begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Outrigger Waikiki and costs $40 to enter. Information: 521-4322.