Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Saturday, May 26, 2001

Mercury turns up at housing project

Advertiser Staff

Fire department specialists in hazardous materials investigate the presence of mercury at the Mayor Wright housing project. Apparently children played with the mercury.
Photos by Eugene Tanner • The Honolulu Advertiser
The fire department's hazardous materials crews were investigating the discovery of "pinhead-size" drops of mercury last night outside units of the Mayor Wright housing area, in the 500 block of Kukui Street.

Mercury had been found in three locations by 10 p.m., according to Battalion Chief Craig Matthew.

He said at least two children from Mayor Wright had been playing with the mercury, and their housing units and the entire area were being checked for contamination. The children said they found the mercury in a bottle, according to Matthew.

Shiny beans of mercury can be seen in the grove of this maintenance panel at the Mayor Wright housing project.
Mercury has been found at a number of locations from Wai'anae to Halawa since March 12.

Elemental mercury is an odorless, silvery liquid metal. It can cause burns and, if inhaled, could lead to pulmonary edema and neurological and damage.

The area was being secured overnight, and the Health Department planned to have a crew clean up the mercury today.