Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 10:34 a.m., Monday, November 19, 2001

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

Police see suspect in Waipahu shooting

A 25-year-old man is being sought in a shooting at a Waipahu residence last night.

Police have opened an attempted homicide investigation in the case, in which a man turned a handgun on another man, 24, shooting him in the back and then fleeing the scene. Investigators declined to disclose the address of the home or further details on the incident.

The suspect is described as 6-foot-2, weighing 175 pounds with a tan complexion and slim build.

Reckless endangering case opened in dog death

A case of reckless endangering has been opened against a police officer who on Saturday killed a pit bull that reportedly was becoming aggressive in Pearl City.

The officer was assisting a Hawaiian Humane Society staffer responding to a complaint of dogs running loose on the 2400 block of Komo Mai Drive. While helping the staffer collar a dog, according to police reports, the animal became aggressive and the officer fired a shot. The dog had previously attacked other animals in the neighborhood, according to the report.

73-year-old dead after van incident

A 73-year-old man died last night after being struck by a van in a Kane'ohe crosswalk.

The accident happened on Kamehameha Highway near Kea'ahala Road at 6 p.m.

The man, whose identity was not released, was taken to Queen's Medical Center in critical condition. He died at about 10:30 p.m.

Police closed parts of Kamehameha Highway last night, and an investigation is continuing.

Ford Island sign goof backs up traffic

Someone forgot to remove the "bridge closed" signs on either side of the Ford Island bridge today, which temporarily startled and confused morning commuters.

The bridge had been closed yesterday for maintenance, said Agnes Tauyan, a spokeswoman for Navy Region, Hawai'i at Pearl Harbor.

Traffic was backed up as drivers tried to figure out what was going on. The Navy removed the signs after media calls, Tauyan said.