- WINEZ AND GRINDZ, a special dinner featuring a five-course menu by chef Brandon Hamada, 5-9 p.m., The Pineapple Room at Liberty House, Ala Moana Center; $49 per person, $64 with wine pairings. Reservations: 945-8881.
- HAWAII FOODBANK'S 6TH ANNUAL PATRIOTS CELEBRATION, a fund-raising dinner to honor more than 50 of Hawai'i's former prisoners of war, featuring performances by Jim Nabors and Emma Veary, 6 p.m., Hilton Hawaiian Village Coral Ballroom; prices for tables range from $1,750 to $10,000, with individual seats also available; all proceeds will benefit food banks statewide. 836-3600, Ext. 228.
- LYON ARBORETUM COOKING CLASS: BEST BREADS BY FARR, learn how to make a variety of homemade breads, 9 a.m.-noon; $22, $18 for Lyon Arboretum Association members. Registration required: 988-0456.
- ISLAND SEASONS CELEBRATE FALL, a demonstration and sampling of local culinary gifts and cuisine including a Mogi veggie slicer, Kona Joe's coffee, 3660 On the Rise salad dressing and more, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. today and noon-3 p.m. Sunday, Liberty House Ala Moana Center; free. 941-2345.
- GUILLERMO TELLEZ, chef de cuisine at Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, will be at the Ihilani Restaurant at the Manele Bay Hotel, Lana'i, today and Sunday, to showcase his talents. Special prix-fixe dinner menus each night, plus a free cooking demonstration Sunday. Reservations recommended: (800) 321-4666.
- 10TH ANNUAL HAPUNA BEACH PRINCE HOTEL SAM CHOY POKE CONTEST, watch local, national and international professional and nonprofessional chefs prepare poke recipes and sample some of the award-winning entries, 11 a.m., Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, Big Island; free admission with a $5 Aloha Festivals ribbon. (808) 880-3023.
- THE COMPLEAT KITCHEN will celebrate its 25th anniversary with two weeks of events, today through Sept. 30, at the shops at Kahala Mall and Ala Moana Center. Activities will include samplings of Hawai'i-made food products, demonstrations and drawings for gift certificates. Event schedules are available at both shops. 845-8444.
- LYON ARBORETUM CLASS: VIETNAMESE COOKING, learn how to make popular dishes including summer rolls and lemon-grass beef with cold noodles, 9 a.m.-noon Oct. 6; $22, $18 for arboretum association members. Registration required: 988-0456.