The religion calendar appears on the Faith page each Saturday. Send your listing to Island Life/Faith, P.O. Box 3110, Honolulu, HI 96802. Include date, time, place, who's involved and cost, if any, of events, along with a daytime contact number.
- LILI'UOKALANI CHURCH LU'AU, 1 to 5 p.m., in Hale'iwa; traditional Hawaiian menu including 'opihi, raw crab and squid. Sit-down lunch $15, takeout $12.50; takeout service 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; entertainment by Genoa Keawe, Makaloa and others. 637-9364.
- WORKSHOP FOR GRIEVING FAMILIES, 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., State Capitol auditorium's chamber level, 415 S. Beretania St.; free; segment also for youth ages 6 to 18; call to register. 847-7991.
- ANNUAL RUMMAGE SALE, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., United Methodist Church, 1020 S. Beretania St. 522-9555.
- STAR OF THE SEA CHURCH THRIFT STORE midsummer sale, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 4470 Ali'ikoa St., Kahala. (Also Wednesday, Friday and next Saturday.) 734-0396.
- "Invitation to bliss," Vedic yoga meditation course by Sri Bhaktisiddhartha Dasanudas, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Unity at Diamond Head, 3608 Diamond Head Circle; $10 donation; call for reservations. 735-4436.
- FREE CONCERT, 6 to 9 p.m. at Calvary Chapel West O'ahu, 91-928 Fort Weaver Road, across from 'Ewa Beach McDonald's; performances by Pearl Harbor Worship Center, Apartment 3 and Native Roots; food; benefit for the Living Waters Cafe building fund. 833-1277.
- BON DANCES: Koganji Temple, 5:30-10:30 p.m. (food booths open at 5:30 p.m., taiko performance 8:30 p.m), 2869 O'ahu Ave., Manoa. Waialua Hongwanji Mission, 7:30 p.m. (service 6:30 p.m.), 67-313 Kealohanui Road; 637-4395. Palolo Higashi Hongwanji Mission, 7:30 p.m. (service 7 p.m.), 1641 Palolo Ave; 732-1491; Waipahu Soto Zen Temple Taiyoji, 8 p.m., 94-413 Waipahu St.; 671-3103. Kapa'a Jodo Mission on Kaua'i, 8 p.m. Waialua Hongwanji Mission, 7:30 p.m. (service 6:30 p.m.), 67-313 Kealohanui St.; 637-4395. Hilo Taishoji Soto Mission, 7:30 p.m., 275 Kino'ole St.; (808) 935-8407.
- Apostolic faith church 79th anniversary celebration, including special ceremonies, 10 a.m., 1043 Middle St., Kalihi. 847-5902.
- Commitment sunday and the Rev. Vaugh Beckman's first anniversary, 10:45 a.m., First Christian Church, 1516 Kewalo St., Makiki. 521-3500.
- "Having What You Want," talk by Dr. Susan Gregg, 7 to 9 p.m., Lifeforce Center, 568 Halekauwila St., top floor, Kaka'ako; $5. 536-8287.
- Medicine buddha empowerment, meditation service, 7 p.m., Kagyu Thegchen Ling Tibetan Buddhist Meditation Center, 26 Gartley Place, Nu'uanu; $25 donation. (Also, silent meditation for all practitioners 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday; free.) 595-8989.
- "Self, society, salvation: why jodo shinshu matters today," lecture by the Rev. David Ryo Matsumoto, 7:30 to 9 p.m., Mililani Hongwanji, 95-257 Kaloapau St.; free. 625-0925.
- "Develop Your Inner Guidance System," talk by Dr. Laura Sturgis, 7 to 9 p.m., Unity at Diamond Head, 3608 Diamond Head Circle; $10 donation; call for reservations. 735-4436.
- Open Table Hawai'i interfaith group meeting, 7 a.m., United Church of Christ conference center board room. Saleem Ahmed will discuss his upcoming book, "Beyond Veil and Holy War," and Reynold Feldman will talk about "Peacemaking in Borneo A Future Possibility." 261-1934.
- HONPA HONGWANJI HAWAII BETSUIN SIXTH ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT, 11 a.m., Ala Wai Golf Course; $100 fee ($50 tax-deductible) or $120 (including four mulligans; $70 tax-deductible), lunch, drinks and banquet. 622-2773.
- HANDBELL CONCERT by the Strikepoint ensemble, 7 p.m. (also 7 p.m. next Saturday), Harris United Methodist Church, 20 S. Vineyard Blvd., downtown; free. 729-8434.
- Community of christ kalihi bazaar, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., 2319 Rose St.; food, games and goods for sale. 947-3825.
- "Day in silence" retreat, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Unity at Diamond Head, 3608 Diamond Head Circle; $5 donation; bring drum or percussion instrument, lunch, water, mat or chair and a snack to share; call for reservations. 735-4436.
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S CONFERENCE Aug. 11-16, Word of Life Christian Center, 544 Queen St., free. 441-1805., wordoflifehawaii.com
- SINGERS NEEDED for Temple Emanu-El High Holiday Choir; all voice ranges for 7:30 p.m. services Sept. 6 and 15; rehearsals at end of August and in early September; call Ken Aronowitz. 595-7521.