Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 11:15 a.m., Tuesday, August 13, 2002

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

Man charged in sexual assault

A 35-year-old Waimanalo man was arraigned today in District Court on charges of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl last month.

Albert. K. Kalima III was charged with two counts each of first-degree sexual assault and of third-degree sexual assault. The charges come in connection with two separate incidents in July, police said.

He is being held in lieu of bail totaling $100,000.

Kalima's picture was on fliers posted in the community by the victim's family, police said.

Family rescued from stream

Maui firefighters were called to Waihe'e Valley Stream yesterday to rescue five family members from San Diego who were hiking and became stranded when the stream rose.

The alarm came at 12:53 p.m., and the Kahului engine company and the fire department's Rescue 10 unit were on scene at 1:09 p.m.

The crew used a pulley "transverse" system to pull the family two men, two women and a 15-year-old boy to safety, said Assistant Chief Alan Cordeiro.

The rescue was completed shortly after 4 p.m., he said.

Kaua'i girl, 4, drowns in pool

A 4-year-old Kaua'i girl drowned Saturday in a Waimea swimming pool while attending the birthday party of a friend.

Officials with the authority to release the child's name could not be reached this morning.

Fire rescue crews were called at 5:14 p.m. to the Waimea Plantation Cottages' pool. They pulled the girl out but were unable to revive her, said Battalion Chief Ernest Moniz.

Kayakers safe after flash flood

Kaua'i fire rescue crews brought an injured kayaker to safety yesterday after a flash flood near Secret Falls kept her and about 20 others from reaching their kayaks on the banks of the Wailua River.

Shortly before noon, the crew learned that a woman, 44, had fractured her ankle while kayaking, said Battalion Chief Ernest Moniz.

The rescuers waited for the water to recede before taking the woman to Kamokila Village, where an ambulance was waiting to take her to Wilcox Memorial Hospital.

The other members of the group were told to wait until the water receded further, and they were able to recross the stream and reach their kayaks about 2:30 p.m., Moniz said.