Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Wednesday, August 14, 2002

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

Waimanalo man charged in assault

A Waimanalo man, 35, was arraigned yesterday in District Court on charges of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl last month.

Albert K. Kalima III was charged with two counts each of first-degree sexual assault and third-degree sexual assault in connection with two separate incidents in July, police said.

He is being held in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Kalima's picture was posted in the community by the victim's family, police said.

Police are looking for Viki Wong, who was last seen near Wai'anae.

Marlene Ogata is also wanted for questioning.
Cousins wanted in forgery cases

Authorities yesterday were searching for two cousins wanted for questioning in a series of forgery and theft cases who may be hiding in the Leeward area.

Viki Piilani Wong, 35, also known as Vicky Stevens, has six forgery warrants totaling $155,000, police said. She has convictions for terroristic threatening and escape, and was last seen near Wai'anae.

Wong is 5 feet 2, 116 pounds, with a slim build. She has brown hair, brown eyes and tattoos on her right ankle and right shoulder.

Marlene Keala Ogata, 26, has four warrants totaling $143,300, police said. She has convictions for forgery and theft and has been seen in Waipahu and 'Ewa Beach. Ogata is 5 feet 5, 125 pounds, with a slim build. She has brown hair and brown eyes.

Call CrimeStoppers at 955-8300, or *CRIME on a cellular phone.

Eight passengers hurt in city bus crash

Eight passengers suffered minor injuries after a city bus collided yesterday with a 1992 Buick Regal Grand Sport near Kaka'ako.

The bus, one of the city's new articulated vehicles, was headed 'ewa on Kapi'olani Boulevard carrying 25 passengers. When it crossed Cooke Street, it struck the passenger side of the Buick, which had turned left onto Cooke. The collision took place at 11:35 a.m.

Buick driver Steven Yoshinaka said he had just gotten a green light. The only damage to the bus was a dented bike rack and front bumper.

Jim Cowen, president and general manager of O'ahu Transit Services Inc., which is contracted by the city to operate TheBus, said the driver was not speeding and "totally not at fault."

Six bus passengers were treated and released at The Queen's Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said. Two other passengers sought treatment from their own doctors, Cowen said.

He said the driver, Tupu Kauvaka, hired Nov. 3, 2001, had never been in an accident while driving the bus.

Family stranded by stream rescued

Maui firefighters were called to Waihe'e Valley Stream on Monday to rescue five family members from San Diego who were stranded when the stream rose.

The alarm came at 12:53 p.m., and the Kahului engine company and fire department's Rescue 10 unit were on the scene at 1:09 p.m.

The crew used a pulley "transverse" system to pull the two men, two women and 15-year-old boy to safety, said Assistant Chief Alan Cordeiro.

The rescue was completed shortly after 4 p.m., he said.

Kaua'i girl drowns at birthday party

A 4-year-old Kaua'i girl drowned Saturday in a Waimea swimming pool while attending a friend's birthday party.

County officials identified her as Darci Isoshima of Waimea.

Fire rescue crews were called to the Waimea Plantation Cottages pool at 5:14 p.m. They pulled the girl out, but were unable to revive her, said Battalion Chief Ernest Moniz.

Injured kayaker brought to safety

Kaua'i fire rescue crews brought an injured kayaker to safety Monday after a flash flood near Secret Falls kept her and about 20 others from reaching their kayaks on the banks of the Wailua River.

Shortly before noon, the crew learned that a woman, 44, had fractured her ankle while kayaking, said Battalion Chief Ernest Moniz.

The rescuers waited for the water to recede before taking the woman to Kamokila Village, where an ambulance was waiting to take her to Wilcox Memorial Hospital.

The other members of the group were told to wait until the water receded further, and they were able to recross the stream and reach their kayaks about 2:30 p.m., Moniz said.