Centennial events begin next month
|||Koreans to mark century in Hawai'i|
(Schedule subject to change)
- Sept. 7: Korean contemporary music concert, 2 p.m., Studio Maluhia in Wailuku, Maui.
- Sept 28: Fashion show at Hilton Hawaiian Village, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; admission is $50. Call 373-1852 for information.
- Oct. 21: Ahn Trio concert (classical music), 11a.m. and 7 p.m., Blaisdell Concert Hall. Admission is $15 for students and $27-$57 for adults. Tickets at Blaisdell box office.
- Nov. 1-10: Korean films at Hawaii International Film Festival, including premiere of documentary on Korean American experience (Part 1).
- Nov. 23: Korean contemporary music concert, 7:30 p.m., McCoy Theater on Maui.
- Nov. 26: Korean contemporary music concert, 7:30 p.m., Atherton Performance Center in Honolulu.
- December: Korean immigration pictorial book goes on sale.
- Jan. 3 and 5: Honolulu Symphony concert with Han-Na Chang on the cello and Byung Ki Hwang on the kayagun, Blaisdell Concert Hall.
- Jan. 12: Unveiling of immigration centennial memorial, 2 p.m., Pawa'a Park at corner of Ke'eaumoku and South King streets.
- Jan. 13-Dec. 31: "Explore Korea: A Visit to Grandfather's House" exhibit at Honolulu Academy of Arts.
- Jan. 13: Banquet at Hilton Hawaiian Village.
- Jan. 16-19: National Korean American Grocers Association Convention.
- Jan. 18: Korean Festival, 10 a.m., at Kapi'olani Park. Parade pending.
- Jan. 24-March 16: Immigration photo exhibit, hangul calligraphy, Punchong pottery at Bishop Museum.
- Jan. 25: "Pojagi" dance performance, University of Hawai'i-Hilo Theatre.
- Feb. 3-5: Christian Revival Rally, Blaisdell Arena.
- Feb. 18-March 15: Inchon-Hawai'i Art Exhibit, Academy Center.
- March 5-9: U.S. Open Tae Kwon Do Championship, Blaisdell Center.
- April 23-27: Korean American Methodist Church Convention.
- May 12-27: "From Life to Death" photo art exhibit.
- May 31: Pop concert, Waikikii Shell.
- June: Korean American children's art exhibit, Academy Center.
- July: Korean modern art exhibit and workshop, Crossings 2003.
- Nov. 29: Ssirum (Korean sumo), Blaisdell Center.
For updated information, go to www.koreancentennial.org.