Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted on: Saturday, December 21, 2002

Eliminate hazards in your kitchen

Advertiser Staff

The smell of just-baked cookies is sure to attract the whole family into the kitchen, which is good for bonding but also poses some potential hazards.

Lowe's Home Safety Council offers these reminders on creating a safer environment for cooking and enjoying the fruits of your culinary labor:

• Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing, which could catch fire.

• Be sure the kitchen is well-ventilated, or keep a window cracked to help prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide from gas cooking appliances.

• Resist the urge to disassemble smoke alarms. If the detector gives off a false alarm, reset it and open windows.

• Don't leave appliances unattended.

The Home Safety Council is a not-for-profit organization founded by Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse dedicated to the prevention of home injuries.