'Ohana seeks heartwarming family photos for contest
If you took a heartwarming photo of one or more folks in your family during 2001, it may pay to dig it up it's time for the second 'Ohana in the Islands photo contest sponsored by The Honolulu Advertiser.
The contest celebrates the strong value people here place on family. If you have a photo that evokes warm feelings, a sense of 'ohana and the unique culture of Hawai'i, you are invited to enter. If you win, you'll see your photo published in an upcoming issue of The Advertiser.
In addition, the first-place winner will receive a $100 gift certificate to the restaurant of his or her choice. Second- and third-place winners will receive $25 gift certificates. Honorable-mention winners will receive Advertiser logo items. The contest rules and instructions:
- Photos must have been taken in 2001. One photo per household may be entered. The photo must have been taken by an amateur who is a Hawai'i resident or Hawai'i-stationed member of the military. We will not accept photos taken by professional photographers, photos that have won recognition in other contests or photos that have been previously published.
- Only hard copies of photos are accepted. They may be in color or black and white. They should be no larger than 8 by 10 inches. No slides or photos sent by e-mail are allowed.
- Send us a copy of the photo that you can spare.
- Write your name and phone number in permanent ink on the back of your photo. If your picture is smaller than 8 by 10 inches, please tape or glue the photo to a plain white 8 1/2-by-11-inch piece of paper.
- On a separate sheet of paper, type or print a brief statement: What makes this photo special, and why do you think it matches the 'Ohana in the Islands theme? Include the name of the person who took the photo, the date and place the photo was taken, and the identities of all people pictured.
Entries must be received at The Advertiser by 4:30 p.m. Feb. 21. They will be judged on content, technical quality and expression of the theme. Articles and photos submitted to The Advertiser may be published or distributed in print, electronic or other forms. Mail to: 'Ohana in the Islands Photo Contest, The Honolulu Advertiser, P.O. Box 3110, Honolulu, HI 96802. Winners will be notified by phone.