Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 11:45 a.m., Friday, May 24, 2002

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

Man, 22, stabbed in Waikiki; 3 arrested

Three men were arrested today in connection with a stabbing in Waikiki that left a 22-year-old man hospitalized at The Queen's Medical Center.

Police said the victim is stable.

The attack, which police believe was unprovoked, began at 12:35 a.m. on 'Ena Road when the victim and four friends were walking down the street.

Witnesses said the three suspects, one 36 and two 25 years old, were on the opposite side of the street when the older one, allegedly drunk, shouted profanities at the victim's group.

The victim and friends kept walking, according to police, when the older man ran across the street, followed by the other two, and allegedly stabbed the victim in the neck. Detectives said the man, who is a Hawai'i resident, suffered a puncture wound to the right side of his neck.

Police said fighting broke out and the three suspects allegedly fled, pursued by the victim's friends. A witness called police officers, who found the suspects and their pursuers on Kaio'o Drive and arrested the three suspects.

They remained in police custody this morning pending further investigation into possible attempted murder charges.

Big Island police nab drug suspect

Big Island police arrested a 62-year-old Puna man after finding $65,000 worth of crystal methamphetamine and more than $26,000 in cash in his car on Wednesday.

The suspect, who lives in Kurtistown, was transferred to federal authorities for prosecution and was being held today in the Federal Detention Center in Honolulu.

Police said patrol Officer John Weber stopped the suspect's car for a traffic violation at 1:25 a.m. at an intersection in the Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision and noticed drug paraphernalia inside. Weber arrested the suspect, who allegedly threatened him.

A narcotics dog detected the presence of drugs, and a search warrant was produced to recover the 12.6 ounces of crystal methamphetamine from the car, police said.

The suspect was arrested on two counts of promotion of a dangerous drug, terroristic threatening, illegal possession of drug paraphernalia and various traffic offenses.

Paraglider who died after landing ID'd

The victim who died Wednesday in a Big Island paraglider accident has been identified as Paul S. Reifsnyder of Des Plaines, Ill. He was 43.

Reifsnyder had taken off from a hillside above Captain Cook and landed hard on a rocky hillside about a half-mile away, said fire Capt. Charles Cope. The man got up, complained of pain in the right side of his chest and collapsed.

When firefighters arrived about 2 p.m., bystanders had already begun CPR. The man never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead at Kona Hospital at 2:38 p.m.

Firefighters work to stop spread of blaze

National Park Service firefighters continued working today to remove grass and shrubs from an area about three-quarters of a mile long to prevent further spread of lava-ignited fires that have been destroying native species in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.