Buffanblu establish individual, team scoring records
By Stacy Kaneshiro
Advertiser Staff Writer
|Punahou senior Vicci Yau scored a record 557 points and the Buffanblu amassed a record 2,103 points in winning the state title.
Deborah Booker The Honolulu Advertiser
Yau had an aggregate score of 557, breaking the year-old record of 534 set by Sacred Hearts' Shannon Li. Yau was runner-up last year. Li placed third yesterday with 532 points.
The Buffanblu's four-girl team set a record with 2,103 points, beating the previous high of 2,046 set by Sacred Hearts in 1999.
This was the first time in the four-year history of the tournament that competition was held indoors. Although free of the elements such as wind, rain and heat, the ballroom's lighting was not the same as if it were held outdoors.
"I had to squint," Yau said. "But I looked away or took off my glasses to rest my eyes."
The top 15 shooters won medals, including all four Punahou girls: Christen Kam was second (540 points), Kara Tellio eighth (512) and Cheryl Kobayashi 12th (494).
Sacred Hearts finished second with 2,063 points with all four team members placing in the top 15. Waiakea, which placed third, had five girls win medals to lead all teams. The Warriors' top shooter was Cory Kawabata, who placed fifth with 516 points.
The boys championships are set for 9 a.m. today at the ballroom.
- Punahou (Cheryl Kobayashi, Vicci Yau, Christen Kam, Kara Tellio) 2103.
- Sacred Hearts 2063.
- Waiakea 2020.
- Pearl City 1842.
- Kapolei 1801.
- Baldwin 1786.
- Waipahu 1701.
- Waimea 1680.
- Kaimuki 1643.
- Kalani 0.
- Vicci Yau, Punahou, 557.
- Christen Kam, Punahou, 540.
- Shannon Li, Sacred Hearts, 532.
- Deana Sin, Sacred Hearts, 531.
- Cory Kawabata, Waiakea, 516.
- Shannon Kohatsu, Waiakea, 514.
- Krystle Sze, Sacred Hearts, 513.
- Kara Tellio, Punahou, 512.
- Ashley Asano, Waiakea, 507.
- Shana Simon, Waiakea, 496.
- Chasity Yamada, Waiakea, 494.
- Cheryl Kobayashi, Punahou, 494.
- Leilani Hale, Konawaena, 489.
- Jacque Ohia, Sacred Hearts, 487.
- Laura Perreira, Waipahu, 486.