- The Pearl's Guest-Chef Dinner, a benefit by and for Leeward Community College culinary arts students featuring chef Donato Loperfido of Donato's Restaurant and Alan Suzuki of Mondavi Wines, 5-9 p.m., The Pearl restaurant at LCC; full-course dinner $55 per person. Information: 455-0298.
- Tempura Festival, featuring dishes prepared by guest chefs from Japan, through Nov. 17, Ala Moana Hotel, Plantation Café; lunch served 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays, $13.25 for complete meal, $11.25 for tempura ten-don; dinner served 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays, $14.25 for complete meal, $12.25 for tempura ten-don; also, tempura dishes offered at buffets, 6-10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays, $24.50. Reservations: 955-4811.
- 2002 French week at La Mer, celebration of French fare with world-renowned guest chefs continues with a pastry demonstration 5-7 p.m. in Halekulani's Ballroom; $50 admission. Special menu ends Friday. Reservations: 931-5040.
- Second Annual Taste of Waipahu, with various ethnic food vendors, craft booths, "kiddie land," entertainment and more, 10 a.m.-10 p.m., Waipahu District Park. Free admission. Information: 677-6939.
- "Starlight & Slippahs," dinner-and-entertainment benefit by Parents And Children Together for the Community Teen Program, 5-9 p.m., La Pietra-Hawaii School for Girls. Dining under the stars with food donated by Auntie Pasto's, Compadres Bar & Grill, Nick's Fishmarket, Big City Diner, Outback Steakhouse in Hawai'i Kai and Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hawaii; entertainment by Na Leo Nahenahe Singers and Kualoa. Also, silent auction and fashion show. Tickets $100 per person. Tables for 10 $1,000-$2,500. Aloha attire and "slippahs" suggested. Information: 847-3285.
- Bali-By-The-Sea presents Guest Chef Andr Soltner, founder of New York's four-star Lutéce restaurant, preparing a classic French dinner, 6-9 p.m. $85 per person exclusive of tax and tip. Reservations requested: 941-2254 or 949-4321, ext. 43.
- VintNer's Dinner V Chambers & Chambers Grand Wine Dinner, 6-9 p.m., Padovani's Restaurant & Wine Bar. Choice from five prix-fixe menus paired with the wines of Jordan Winery (Alexander Valley), Paul Hobbs Winery (Napa), Peter Michael Winery (Napa), Talley Vineyards (San Luis Obispo) and ZD Wines (Napa); representatives from each winery will be on hand. $65 per person exclusive of wine, tax and tip. Information: 946-3456.
- Vintners In Paradise 2002: Passport To Wines, a benefit for the Hawaii Theatre Center including Grand Tasting with complementary cuisine, 5:30-8:30 p.m., and live auction, 7 p.m., in Hawaii Prince Hotel's Mauna Kea Ballroom. Tickets are $65 in advance at Fujioka's Wine Merchants in Market City Shopping Center or through Victoria Okada at 791-1302, and $85 at the door. Also, Gourmet Dinner Benefit in the Captain's Room, presented by Goran Streng and the Hawaiian Island Chefs (Doug Lum of Mariposa, Chai Chaowasaree of Chai's Island Bistro, Corey Waite of Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and Todd Kihara of Hawaii Prince Hotel), with limited table seating for $3,000 for 10 people, including the Grand Tasting, dinner, wines and valet parking. Information: 791-1302.
- "Wrath of Grapes," Indigo Wine Club, 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Indigo Eurasian Cuisine; wine sampling with pupu plate, $20; limited seating. Reservations: 521-2900.
Send items to Taste, The Advertiser, P.O. Box 3110, Honolulu, HI 96802; firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax 525-8055.