If ever, if ever a wiz there was . . .
By Kerry Lengel
|Robbie Coltrane returns as the big but lovable Hagrid, groundskeeper at Hogwarts and a pal of Harry and the gang.
Before selling her first manuscript, the Scottish writer was a divorced, struggling mom. Now she's the genius behind the most successful children's book series in history, which spawns its second surefire blockbuster movie today.
After three years of hype about the projected seven-book series, you might think you know everything there is to know about the unassuming young wizard with the lightning-bolt scar on his forehead. Well, it's time to prove it by taking our 10-question pop quiz on Harry's life at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
By the way, this is not an open-book exam. And if you think we can't enforce that, you're a very foolish Muggle indeed, because there's a Gringotts goblin in an invisibility cloak behind you right now.
1.Where does Harry do his back-to-school shopping?
- Wizards 'R' Us.
- Dragon Alley.
- Diagon Alley.
- Lotions 'n' Potions.
2. Which candy is not sold aboard the Hogwarts Express?
- Mars Bars.
- Chocolate Frogs.
- Drooble's Best Blowing Gum.
- Bertie Botts' Every Flavor Beans.
3. Which of the following is a Hogwarts ghost?
- Headless Nick.
- Moaning Myrtle.
- The Bloodless Baron.
- All of the above.
4. "The Chamber of Secrets" introduces Dobby. Who is he?
- A house-elf.
- The new Seeker for Ravenclaw's Quidditch team.
- Hagrid's pet dragon.
- Hermione's boyfriend.
5. In Quidditch, how many goals must you score with the Quaffle to equal the point value of capturing the Golden Snitch?
6. In the third Harry Potter book, who is "The Prisoner of Azkaban"?
- Lord Voldemort's accomplice.
- Harry's uncle.
- A werewolf.
- None of the above.
7. What's the name of Ron Weasley's rat?
- Peter Pettigrew.
- All of the above.
8. Whom did J.K. Rowling suggest to direct the first Harry Potter movie?
- Steven Spielberg.
- Terry Gilliam.
- James Cameron.
- Chris Columbus.
9. In the movies, what is used to portray Harry's beloved snowy owl, Hedwig?
- Woodsy Owl.
- An albino screech owl.
- A snowy owl of the wrong sex.
- The Hooters mascot.
10. What was the original (British) title of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"?
- "Harry Potter, Boy Wizard."
- "Harry Goes to Hogwarts."
- "Harry and the Hendersons."
- "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone."
3. b. Nick is only Nearly Headless, and the Baron is Bloody, not Bloodless.
5. d. Quaffle goals score 10, and the Golden Snitch is worth 150.
7. d. As revealed in Book 3.
8. b. Monty Python alumnus Gilliam had proved his gift for fantasy with "Time Bandits" and "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," but the studio went with Columbus.
9. c. In real life, only male snowy owls have bright white plumage.
10. d. The publishers figured American readers wouldn't understand the allusion to ancient alchemy.
The Sorting Hat says:
Score one point for each correct answer.
- 1-2 points Your inexcusable ignorance raises questions about your character. There's no house for you but Slytherin.
- 3-4 points Nice try, but totally ineffectual. It's Hufflepuff for you.
- 5-6 points You have proven your wit and earned a place with Ravenclaw.
- 7-9 points You have the makings of a great wizard. Welcome to Gryffindor.
- 10 points With your encyclopedic memory of all things magical, you get to graduate early and return as next year's Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Good luck!