Campbell tries to keep Red Conference lead
By Wes Nakama
Advertiser Staff Writer
With the O'ahu Interscholastic Association football season past its midway point, games with championship and playoff implications are imminent.
Campbell will try to hold onto first place in the OIA Red Conference-West against resurgent Leilehua, Pearl City will attempt to remain undefeated in the OIA White against second-place Nanakuli and Kahuku will aim to rebound from back-to-back defeats for the first time since 1997 against Farrington, which is fighting for its playoff life.
Here is a closer look at those three games (all kickoffs scheduled for about 7:30 tonight):
Campbell vs. Leilehua
- Where: Aloha Stadium
- TV: Live on Oceanic Channel 16
- Records: Campbell 4-1 overall, 3-1 OIA Red-West; Leilehua 4-2, 3-2
- Last week: Campbell had a bye; Leilehua lost to Mililani, 21-20
- Notable: Campbell's Mapa Malupo leads the Red Conference in rushing with 577 yards, averaging an impressive 7.3 yards per carry. Leilehua's Jon Sanborn (446 yards, 6.7 ypc) is second. ... Campbell leads the Red-West in offense, averaging 404.8 yards per game. Leilehua (347 ypg) is second. ... Campbell quarterback Jacob Canionero has thrown 45 passes this season without an interception.
Pearl City at Nanakuli
- Records: Pearl City 4-1 overall, 4-0 OIA White; Nanakuli 3-2, 3-1
- Last week: Pearl City defeated Waialua 41-7; Nanakuli had a bye
- Notable: Pearl City has the White Conference's top defense, allowing 184 yards per game. Nanakuli ranks second in total offense, with 339 ypg. ... Nanakuli's Ikaika Asinsin is O'ahu's leading rusher and scorer, with 688 yards and 11 touchdowns. Pearl City's Michael Yamauchi-Yamate, a transfer from Pac-Five, is averaging 8.8 yards per carry. ... Pearl City quarterback Jensen Cabanero has thrown 43 passes without an interception.
Farrington at Kahuku
- Records: Farrington 3-3 overall, 2-3 OIA Red-East; Kahuku 3-2, 3-1
- Last week: Farrington lost to McKinley, 27-12; Kahuku lost to Roosevelt, 23-13
- Notable: Farrington running back Matt Bell leads the Red-East in rushing and scoring with 563 yards and nine touchdowns. He also is fifth in receiving, with 21 catches for 189 yards. ... Kahuku is fourth (out of seven teams) in the Red-East in total offense, averaging only 214 yards per game. Farrington (367.3 ypg) is second.