Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, October 31, 2002

Property tax records will list landlord

By Lynda Arakawa
Advertiser Staff Writer

Q. We are homeowners surrounded by renters who trash the surrounding area they rent. There is a tree that is leaning on our fenced areas. We and our neighbors are tired of raking up the dried leaves that fall into our yards daily. A boat is parked on the street. It is a nuisance and a hazard. How can I find out who the property manager is to make a complaint?

A. Ah, neighborly disputes, one of the most frequent topics called into the Bureaucracy Buster. The city wisely does not get involved in such matters, but officials say you can call the police to complain about the boat if it is a hazard. Rather than track down the property manager, you should probably find the owner instead. On O'ahu, you can do that by searching the city's property tax records on its Web site, or at the Real Property Assessment Division at 842 Bethel St. On the Neighbor Islands, you'll have to check your county tax assessor's office. Good luck.

Medicare update

In response to our earlier column on Medicare, the state Executive Office on Aging wanted to let readers know of its SAGE PLUS and SageWatch programs that focus on providing information regarding Medicare and supplemental insurance.

SAGE PLUS provides free statewide health insurance information counseling and referrals. Volunteers and staff are trained to explain Medicare benefits and coverage as well as give people guidance and assistance in completing claim forms and navigating through the government process.

The SAGE PLUS hot line is 586-7299; Neighbor Islands call toll free (888) 875-9229.

SageWatch provides information about preventing fraud and abuse in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. The program also provides referrals to those reporting possible fraud or abuse. The Sage Watch program phone number is 586-7281, with Neighbor Islands toll free (800) 296-9422.

More information about these programs can be found at the Executive Office on Aging's Web site.

Do you ever get frustrated or confused trying to navigate the various layers of government? Are you looking for an answer to a simple question but can't figure out where to start? If you have a question or a problem and need help getting to the right person, you can reach The Bureaucracy Buster one of three ways:

• Write to: The Bureaucracy Buster
The Honolulu Advertiser
605 Kapi'olani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96813

• e-mail: buster@honoluluadvertiser.com

• Phone: 535-2454 and leave a message.

Be sure to give us your name and daytime telephone number.