- "On the Front burner: Flavors of Hawai'i," a workshop with chefs of The Royal Hawaiian and a wine sommelier, includes a demonstration on how to create a special three-course meal, samples of completed dishes and tips on how to pair the right wine with the dishes, 5:30-7:30 p.m., The Royal Hawaiian, Kamehameha Suite, $50 per person or $75 for two;. Reservations: 931-8408.
- "Classic Desserts Made Simple," a workshop on how to make creme brulee, crepes and souffles with Hilton Waikoloa Village executive pastry chef David Brown, 1-3 p.m., Hilton Waikoloa Village's Water's Edge, $45 per person; part of Hilton Waikoloa Village's "Kani Ka Pila, A Return to Paradise," a monthlong celebration of Hawaiian food, music and culture. Information: (808) 886-1234 or www.rtparadise.com.
- "Wrath of Grapes," Indigo Wine Club, 6 p.m. every Tuesday, Indigo Eurasian Cuisine; wine sampling with pupu plate, $20; limited seating. Reservations: 521-2900.
- "The Vegetarian Agenda: Politics and Success," a lecture with Richard McLellan on why democracy is important to the success of vegetarianism, animal rights and other social movements, 7 p.m. Sept 11, Ala Wai Golf Course club house; free. 944-8344.
- "Maui Chefs Present: The Garden of Eatin'," a 10th annual opening gala for "A Taste of Lahaina" featuring a dinner and cocktail party under the stars, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 13, Napili Gardens of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa in Ka'anapali; $95 per person; a portion of the proceeds benefits Maui community groups. Information: (888) 310-1117, www.kaanapaliresort.com or www.visitlahaina.com. Reservations: (808) 667-9193.
Send items for the Culinary Calendar to Taste, The Honolulu Advertiser, P.O. Box 3110, Honolulu, HI 96802; firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 525-8069 or fax 525-8055.