Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, April 3, 2003

No moped parking on sidewalks

By Treena Shapiro
Advertiser Staff Writer

Q. I've gotten several parking tickets when I park my moped near my work. Usually I lock it to a bike rack or a sign pole or something. Nowhere in sight are there any signs that state no moped parking, nor have I been able to find anything about Hawai'i's moped laws anywhere on the Web, except that mopeds are to obey the rules of bicyclists when the circumstances call for it. Nor have I been able to get a decent answer out of any of the police officers whom I have questioned about this issue.

The only answer that I could get was "you just can't" park on the sidewalks anywhere. I want a reason, I want to see the law (if there is one), and I want to see it publicly posted.

A. Although mopeds are registered as bicycles, Police Capt. Jose Gaytan of the Traffic Division said they are governed by the same parking laws that apply to motorcycles and motor scooters. That would explain why you're getting tickets, since the Revised Ordinances of Honolulu Sec. 15-14.1 state that mopeds cannot park on sidewalk.

You can find the laws relating to on-street parking of mopeds in Sec. 15-13.11. Both sections can be found online at http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/refs/roh/15a10_20.htm.

Q. Our dog died recently, and my children insisted on a "proper burial." I obliged, but started wondering how I would have disposed of it otherwise.

A. The city provides free dead animal pick-up. You just have to put the animal in a bag or box and call the Bulky Item & Dead Animal Pickup line for collection the same day. You can find the numbers for different districts listed in the blue city and county government section of the phone book.

Q. I want to sell my car and can't find my certificate of ownership. How can I get a new one?

A. According to city spokeswoman Carol Costa, the registered owner can go to any satellite city hall and fill out an application for a duplicate title form. The satellite staff will verify the signature and print a duplicate title for $10.

However, if the registration indicates a lienholder, then the lienholder must sign the application and be issued the duplicate title, she said.

Q. Is it legal to park in a residential cul de sac? A police officer says it's illegal but there are no signs.

A. The police officer was correct, said Police Capt. Jose Gaytan of the Traffic Division. While there are usually "no parking" signs posted at the beginning and end of a turn-around area of a dead end street, he said parking is illegal even if they aren't present.

• • •

Do you ever get frustrated or confused trying to navigate the various layers of government? Are you looking for an answer to a simple question but can't figure out where to start? If you have a question or a problem and need help getting to the right person, you can reach The Bureaucracy Buster one of three ways:

• Write to: The Bureaucracy Buster
The Honolulu Advertiser
605 Kapi'olani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96813

• e-mail: buster@honoluluadvertiser.com

• Phone: 535-2454 and leave a message.

Be sure to give us your name and daytime telephone number.