What's open, closed Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Here's what's open and closed for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, Jan. 20, 2003.
- Federal offices: Closed
- State offices: Closed
- City, county offices: Closed
- Public: Closed
- UH: No classes; offices closed; both Sinclair and Hamilton libraries closed
- Libraries: All closed; additionally, those normally closed Mondays Kailua, Kona, Big Island; Kihei and Lahaina, Maui; Lana'i; and Princeville and Wailua, Kaua'i will also be closed Tuesday. The 'Aiea, Hawai'i Kai, Makawao and Wahiawa libraries will be closed only Monday.
- TheBus: State holiday schedule.
- On-street parking: Free, except for metered stalls on Kalakaua Avenue at Kapi'olani Park; holiday towaway zone parking as permitted by sign; municipal lots must be fed.
- Traffic: No coning
- Trash: Regular residential and business rubbish pickup
- Refuse convenience centers: Open
- Open Markets: Closed
- Municipal golf courses: Open
- City recreation centers: Open
- Mail: Post offices closed; no residential or business delivery; no (blue) mailbox pickups; Express Mail to selected areas
- Handi-Van: Operating
- Humane Society: Open, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Blood bank: Dillingham headquarters open 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.; downtown center, closed
- Banks/savings and loans: Most closed
- Stock market: Closed
- Credit unions: Most closed
- Nat'l Memorial Cemetery (Punchbowl): Open
- Honolulu Academy of Arts: Closed
- Arizona Memorial: Open
- Battleship Missouri Memorial: Open
- USS Bowfin: Open
- Bishop Museum: Open
- Botanical Gardens, including Foster Garden, Ho'omaluhia, Wahiawa & Koko Head botanic gardens: Open
- Contemporary (art) Museum: Closed
- Hawai'i Children's Discovery Center: Closed
- Hawai'i Maritime Center: Open
- Honolulu Zoo: Open
- 'Iolani Palace: Closed
- Japanese Cultural Center (and Historical Gallery): Closed
- Lyon Arboretum (UH): Closed
- Mission Houses Museum: Closed
- Polynesian Cultural Center: Open
- Paradise Cove Lu'au: Open
- Queen Emma Summer Palace: Open
- Sea Life Park: Open
- Sen. Fong's Plantation & Gardens: Open
- U.S. Army Museum: Closed
- Waikiki Aquarium: Open
- Waimea Falls Park: Open
- Waipahu Cultural Garden Park (and Hawaii's Plantation Village): Open
Correction: The Kailua-Kona, Kihei, Lahaina, Lana'i, Princeville and Waialua libraries will be closed Monday and Tuesday. The 'Aiea, Hawai'i Kai, Makawao and Wahiawa libraries will be closed only Monday for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday. A previous version of this list was incorrect because of a source error.