Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

Man pulled from swimming pool dies

A man who was pulled unconscious from a swimming pool at the Sheraton Waikiki hotel died yesterday afternoon.

The man's name was not released, but police said they believe he was a visitor from Japan. Police said the man was in his 50s.

A guest at the hotel told police he saw the man at the bottom of the pool at about 3:30 p.m. The guest brought the man out of the water and called for help.

Emergency personnel performed CPR, but were unable to revive the man and he was pronounced dead a short while later. Police said they did not know how long the man was under water.

Three men charged in credit card scam

Three men from Japan are facing federal conspiracy and fraud charges for allegedly using 18 or more counterfeit credit cards to purchase five Rolex and one Cartier wristwatches from a Waikiki store on May 16.

The watches were worth $71,000, according to court documents.

Charged in the case were Kazutaka Kaniwa, Atsuhiro Nishiura and Yoshiki Enomoto.

The case was developed after a fourth man, who was trying to clear customs inspection at Ho-nolulu International Airport, was found to be carrying 18 other suspected counterfeit credit cards, according to court documents.

Maui fire copter rescues three tourists

KAHULUI, Maui — A Maui Department of Fire Control helicopter helped rescue three tourists who got into trouble in two separate incidents yesterday.

In the first, two lost hikers from Pennsylvania were plucked from the side of the West Maui Mountains above Waikapu after they spent the night on a ridge.

The men, both 23, used a cell phone to call 911 just after 10 a.m. to report their predicament. Talking with the police dispatcher, they helped guide the helicopter to their location. They were rescued at about noon, officials said.

After the helicopter assisted the hikers, it flew to the other side of the island to help a 58-year-old Houston man who slipped and fell 20 feet while trying to photograph Puohokamoa Waterfall between Kailua and Ke'anae. The incident happened at about 11 a.m. and he was rescued at about 2 p.m.

The man suffered cuts to his face and a possible broken arm, and was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center in Wailuku.

15 arrested in racing crackdown

HILO, Hawai'i — Big Island police arrested 15 people Friday in a crackdown on illegal road racing.

The arrests were made in Lower Puna's Red Road area, a rural section of the island that racers favor.

Officers issued 56 vehicle citations, made 15 arrests and caught a runaway juvenile, police said.

Six people were charged with illegal road racing, and police opened five felony drug cases and a misdemeanor drug case in connection with the operation.

Entertainer free after bail posted

A local singer/songwriter accused of trying to kill a man after an argument Friday at Ala Moana Center was released Sunday after posting $50,000 bail.

Aziel Al Toeaina, 25, a recording artist known by his first name, is charged with attempted murder. Police said Toeaina allegedly threatened to kill a 31-year-old man he had been arguing with Friday at the Mai Tai Lounge before confronting the victim in the parking lot at about 11:30 p.m.

'Ewa collision victim identified

The medical examiner's office yesterday identified the woman killed Wednesday in a head-on collision on Fort Weaver Road as Mary Jane Cing of 'Ewa Beach. Cing, 31, was a front-seat passenger in a car that was hit by another car that had crossed over a grass median.

Man faces gun, threat charges

Police have charged a 25-year-old man in connection with an altercation Saturday on Kona Street.

Roque Edward Lindow of a Bishop Street address was charged Sunday with first-degree terroristic threatening, second-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangering and a firearm violation. He is being held in lieu of $50,000 bail.

According to police, Lindow allegedly took a 12-gauge shotgun from the truck of his car to intimidate an opposing group involved in a 4 a.m. fight.