Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, November 6, 2003

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

One killed, one hurt in Kunia crash

One man was killed and a woman seriously injured in a one-car traffic accident last night in Kunia.

The accident occurred at 8:08 p.m. in the west-bound lanes of H-1 Freeway between the Kunia and 'Ewa off-ramps. Police traffic investigators were at the scene late last night and details of the accident were not available.

But an Emergency Medical Services spokesman said the accident involved one vehicle, which rolled over. The man driving the vehicle was taken to St. Francis Medical Center-West, where he was pronounced dead. A woman passenger in the car was taken to The Queen's Medical Center in serious condition.

Police closed the west-bound lanes of the freeway for several hours to investigate.

Police search for woman, 75

Helen Hun was last seen on Monday.
Police are looking for a 75-year-old Wai'anae woman suffering from dementia who has been missing since Monday. Helen Hun was last seen at about 11 a.m. Monday at her Alapaki Street home. Police said she may have boarded a city bus. They are searching near Ma'ili'ili Stream.

Anyone with information about her whereabouts is asked to contact investigator Phil Camero at 529-3394 or CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *CRIME by cellular phone.

UH student faces enticement charge

A University of Hawai'i student accused of using the Internet to try to lure a 13-year-old girl for sex has been indicted by a grand jury.

Paul Clur, a 35-year-old UH-Manoa graduate student, was arrested last month after allegedly arranging to meet the girl at Zippy's on King Street. When he arrived, he discovered he had actually been conversing with an undercover agent. Clur is the third person in Hawai'i charged with electronic enticement of a child, a felony offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Clur was chairman of the UH Caucus, a group of student representatives from the university's 10-campus system. Police say he used the computer at his campus office to converse with the individual he believed was a teenage girl.

Man who died in fight identified

A man who died Sunday after being beaten in a fight outside a North Shore restaurant was identified yesterday by the medical examiner's office as Darryl Cobb-Adams, 40, of Mililani.

Cobb-Adams was found unconscious in the parking lot of Haleiwa Joe's Seafood Grill at 1:45 a.m. Sunday. Police said he was punched during an argument, fell to the ground and struck his head. Cobb-Adams was taken to The Queen's Medical Center where he died at 3:58 p.m. Sunday.

Police are investigating the case as a murder.

Autopsy shows Big Isle man slain

HILO, Hawai'i — Big Island police said an unidentified man whose body was found Sunday off Saddle Road was murdered.

An autopsy completed Tuesday determined the man died of multiple injuries consistent with a beating, said Capt. Samuel Thomas of the East Hawai'i Criminal Investigation Division. Police believe the man had been dead for several days before his body was discovered by a hunter near the 12-mile marker in the outskirts of Hilo.

Investigators would like to talk to anyone who may know the man's identity. He had a fair complexion, was approximately 6 feet 1, salt-and-pepper hair and a 3-inch scar on the front lower right thigh. He was wearing green and brown swimming trunks with red pockets, and a green aloha print shirt.

Call Detective Jason Cortez of the Hilo Criminal Investigation Section at (808) 961-2255.

Theft suspected at Hilo church

HILO, Hawai'i — A former office worker at Malia Puka O Kalani Catholic Church in Keaukaha is being investigated for allegedly stealing more than $50,000 over four years.

The suspect was entrusted with writing checks for bill payments, staff salaries and other financial responsibilities, police said. The thefts started in January 1999 and were discovered by church officials last March and reported to police in July.

Police said the case has been forwarded to the Hawai'i County prosecutor's office.