Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 2:58 p.m., Friday, February 27, 2004

Police Beat

Advertiser Staff

Oil spill forces closing of freeway

An oil spill today forced the closing of all westbound lanes of the H-1 Freeway near the Honolulu Airport exit for more than four hours.

Fire department spokesman Capt. Kenison Tejada said lubricant from a dropped container spilled onto the roadway at 8:37 a.m.

Rain spread the oil across all the freeway lanes, creating a slippery condition for motorists. All lanes were closed for cleanup work at 9 a.m. and remained closed until about 1:30 p.m., police said.

Five young men face speed charges

A 21-year-old Kaimuki man was charged today with reckless driving for allegedly speeding at more than 100 mph.

East Honolulu patrol officers stopped Jason M. Heisler of an 11th Avenue address at 1:50 a.m. at Bingham and Farrington streets in Mo'ili'ili. Heisler was arraigned in District Court today.

Since Tuesday, police have charged five people with reckless driving, a petty misdemeanor. Allegations of speeding were involved in all cases. The other four:

• Gregory Kalani Moad, 23, was arraigned today after being stopped Tuesday at 6th and Pahoa avenues at 12:35 a.m. Moad was released after posting $100 bail.

• Jimmy Geathers III, 19, of Schofield Barracks, was arrested Wednesday at 2:05 a.m. after an officer assigned to HPD’s 14-member night traffic-safety unit allegedly saw him change over from the far left to far right lane in traffic at 79 mph on the H-1 Freeway near the Kahuapa'ani Street overpass.

• Erich Bret Messenger, a 20-year-old Marine, allegedly was driving a motorcycle at more than 100 mph on Kamehameha Highway at 2:29 a.m. He was arrested near Waipahu High School. Messenger’s scheduled appearance is March 15 in 'Ewa District Court.

• Sidney M. Smith, 20, a Pearl Harbor sailor, was allegedly driving a Mazda 626 westbound at 115 to 120 mph early yesterday morning on the H-1 Freeway. He was stopped by traffic-safety unit officers on Kamehameha Highway near Center Drive.