Kahuku boys, girls take lead; 3 stay in contention for 3-peat
Semifinal and consolation rounds 3 and 4 will begin at 11 a.m. today, with the girls finals and consolation finals set for 4:30 p.m. and the boys finals and consolation finals set for 6:30 p.m. Introductions are scheduled for 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.
Kahuku leads the boys and girls team standings, with 76 points for girls and 92.5 points for boys. Farrington (63.5) is second in the girls standings, followed by Baldwin (48.5), Moanalua (45) and Kealakehe (37).
Iolani (73) is second in the boys standings, followed by Kamehameha (55.5), Punahou (53.5) and Baldwin (50.5).
Saint Louis senior Ben Wilmore, a state champ at 112 pounds in 2002 and 130 in 2003, advanced to the 140 semifinals after pinning Roosevelt's Del Onaga in the championship first round and blanking Ron Garett of Waiakea, 15-0, in the quarterfinals.
Wilmore, the No. 2 seed, will meet No. 3 Dallon Cochran of Radford in today's semifinals.
McKinley's Rene Suehiro, a senior who won titles at 135 in 2002 and 140 in 2003, defeated Kealakehe's Jacob Auna, 7-2, in the 145 championship first round and pinned Hana's John Stricklin-Pu in the quarterfinals. Suehiro, the No. 1 seed, will face No. 4 seed Kenric Pai of Kamehameha in the semifinals.
And Kailua senior Danyelle Hedin, a No. 1 seed at 130 who won the 121 title in 2002 and 2003, pinned Carrie Kimura-Ayoso of Honoka'a in the quarterfinals and will face No. 4 seed Kara Takasaki of Punahou in the semifinals.
No. 1 seeds fell in the boys' 171, 189, 215 and 275 weight classes. At 171, Iolani's Bill Fargo defeated Alvin Marquez of Waipahu, 15-10, in the championship first round. At 189, Waipahu's Jeff Antolin defeated Kahuku's Michael Rabaino in the quarterfinals, 3-2. At 215, Kahuku's Gerard Ah Quin upset Iolani's Isaac Ickes, 12-6, in the quarterfinals.
And at 275, Kahuku's Joshua Smith defeated Hawai'i Prep's Micah Stevens on a disqualification in the quarterfinals.
Fargo advanced to the semifinals by defeating Aaron Juhl of Campbell, 11-2.
Kahuku 76, Farrington 63.5, Baldwin 48.5, Moanalua 45, Kealakehe 37, Kamehameha 35, Iolani 30, Punahou 29, Pearl City 27, Kaiser 22, Roosevelt 22, Hilo 21, 'Aiea 20, Hawai'i Baptist 20, Waipahu 20.
- 98 pounds No. 1 Amanda Aquino (Kahuku) vs. Rayna Hirata (Kaiser); No. 2 Carla Watase (Iolani) vs. No. 3 Joyce Transfiguracion (Kealakehe).
- 103 pounds No. 1 Joleen Oshiro (Iolani) vs. Katrina Comeau (Kahuku); No. 2 Lisa Katsura (Moanalua) vs. Ruth Transfiguration (Kealakehe)
- 108 pounds No. 1 Sadie Kaneda (Roosevelt) vs. No. 4 Audrey Kalawe (Hilo); No. 2 Vanessa Chan (Baldwin) vs. No. 3 Catherine Chan (Iolani).
- 114 pounds No. 1 Tamitha Hufana (Farrington) vs. Ashley Polong (Kaiser); Roslyn Maiava (Kahuku) vs. Cherae Pascua (Pearl City).
- 120 pounds No. 1 Kelli Furumoto (Hawai'i Baptist) vs. Ashlee Estioka (Kahuku); No. 2 Candice Coratibo (Baldwin) vs. No. 3 Cory Arisumi (Roosevelt).
- 125 pounds No. 1 Danyelle Hedin (Kailua) vs. No. 4 Kara Takasaki (Punahou); No. 2 Shyla Iokia (Baldwin) vs. Leilani Relator (Kahuku).
- 130 pounds No. 1 Jazmine Cockett (Kamehameha) vs. No. 4 Merisa Wong (Kealakehe); No. 2 Krystal Kiyuna ('Aiea) vs. Lauren Primiano (Punahou).
- 140 pounds No. 1 Chanel Meletia (Hawai'i Baptist) vs. No. 4 Leilani Visesio (Maui); No. 2 Shana Simon (Waiakea) vs. No. 3 Jenna Nihipali (Kahuku).
- 155 pounds No. 1 Delilah Joung (Waipahu) vs. No. 4 Melinda Bolo (Lana'i); No. 2 Keisha Siliga (Hilo) vs. Alicia Fu (Moanalua).
- 175 pounds No. 1 Sunshine Misa-Uli (Farrington) vs. Desiree Memea (University High); No. 2 Leilani Corpuz (Baldwin) vs. No. 3 Tilana Kawa'a (Kamehameha).
- 220 pounds No. 1 Chasity Molina (Wai'anae) vs. No. 4 Akemi Holmes (Iolani); No. 2 Randolyn Nohara (Kamehameha) vs. Stephanie Feleuga (Farrington).
Kahuku 92.5, Iolani 73, Kamehameha 55.5, Punahou 53.5, Baldwin 50.5, Saint Louis 45, Lahainaluna 41.5, Kaiser 38, Mililani 33.5, Hilo 27.5, Waiakea 27, Hawai'i Prep 23, Konawaena 22.5, Kealakehe 22, Hana 21, Waipahu 20.5, King Kekaulike 20, Roosevelt 17, Moanalua 15.
- 103 pounds No. 1 Joshua Plechaty (Punahou) vs. Drake Auna (Kahuku); No. 2 Shane Larsen (Kaiser) vs. Nick Matayoshi (Iolani).
- 112 pounds No. 1 Ikaika Medeiros (Hana) vs. No. 4 Tyson Yamashita (Waiakea); No. 2 Aaron Ishikawa (Iolani) vs. No. 3 Richard Torres (Kahuku).
- 119 pounds No. 1 Brandon Low (Saint Louis) vs. Jared Kawamata (Mililani); No. 2 Blain Ling (Kaiser) vs. No. 3 Michael Viloria (Lahainaluna).
- 125 pounds No. 1 Daniel Morita (Kahuku) vs. Dustin Smith (Lahainaluna); No. 2 Mikail Higa (Waiakea) vs. No. 3 Kodi Shepley (Baldwin).
- 130 pounds No. 1 Sean Ida (Roosevelt) vs. Timmy White (Kalaheo); No. 3 Shane Vasconcellos (Kamehameha) vs. Raymond Melendez (Mililani).
- 135 pounds No. 1 Alexis Molina (Kealakehe) vs. Ko'olau Windward (Kaiser); No. 3 William Smithe (Mililani) vs. Davis Wakefield (Hawai'i Prep).
- 140 pounds No. 1 Johanson Quist (Hilo) vs. Brenden Whitt (Punahou); No. 2 Ben Wilmore (Saint Louis) vs. No. 3 Dallon Cochran (Radford).
- 145 pounds No. 1 Rene Suehiro (McKinley) vs. No. 4 Kenric Pai (Kamehameha); No. 2 Naihe Akoi (Lahainaluna) vs. Matt Comeau (Kahuku).
- 152 pounds No. 1 Kyle Muraoka (Iolani) vs. Brenton Awa (Kahuku); No. 2 Ryan Tuzon (Baldwin) vs. No. 3 Dannon Sunga (Mililani).
- 160 pounds No. 1 Adam Ah Sue (Kahuku) vs. Bradley Nagasako (Iolani); No. 2 Koa Chun (Baldwin) vs. Everett Pavo (Pearl City).
- 171 pounds Bill Fargo (Iolani) vs. Jared Silva (Saint Louis); Mike Egesdal (Punahou) vs. No. 2 Nathaniel Nakagawa (Kamehameha).
- 189 pounds No. 2 Wil Egesdal (Punahou) vs. Mikio Nagasako (Moanalua); No. 4 Patrick Kaina (Lahainaluna) vs. Jeff Antolin (Waipahu).
- 215 pounds No. 2 Max Fairclough (Kahuku) vs. No. 3 Dylan Rush (Konawaena); No. 4 Matthew Tanielu (Moloka'i) vs. Gerard Ah Quin (Castle).
- 275 pounds No. 2 Adam Akau (King Kekaulike) vs. Blake Mokiau (Hilo); No. 4 Riley Martin (Iolani) vs. Joshua Smith (Kahuku).