honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 12:23 p.m., Monday, March 22, 2004

Las Vegas sickness total now at 1,475

By Robbie Dingeman
Advertiser Staff Writer

The number of people who have reported coming down with gastro-intestinal problems from visits to Las Vegas since Dec. 3 climbed to 1,475, according to todays update from Nevada health officials.

Clark County Health District spokesman Dave Tonelli said the latest statistics show a continued decline in the number of stomach-flu-like illnesses last week related to a norovirus outbreak linked primarily to the California Hotel and Casino in downtown Las Vegas.

The desert destination and the hotel remain a favorite among visitors from Hawai'i, many of who frequently visit on inexpensive package tours.

Tonelli noted this was the third week of a downward trend in the number of illnesses reported to them: Feb. 27 to March 4 173; March 5 to 12 103; March 13 to 19 50.

He said health officials there will classify the outbreak as over when there has been a sustained decline in the number of complaints each week for one month. That coincides with the amount of time that noroviruses can survive on various surfaces: handles, counters, doorknobs, etc.

Complaints can be phoned in to (702) 383-1378.