Posted at 11:23 a.m., Tuesday, April 11, 2006
TGI Tonight! Events for music and theater lovers
Advertiser StaffDr. Reiner Haus gives a talk on the therapeutic benefits of music, dance and performing arts in Joys of Sounds-Sounds of Joy, an event including music and hula. See it at 7 p.m. tonight at the Mission Memorial Auditorium (across the street from Mission Houses Museum). Admission is free, with a suggested donation of $20 adults, $10 seniors and students. Information: 593-2620.
Believe in the power of music and performance? Here are a few musical opportunities to soothe your soul tonight:
* Darrell Aquino, 4-7 p.m., Ala Moana Center, Mai Tai Bar; also Hot Rain, 9:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. 947-2900.
* Kau Kahe, 7-9 p.m., Hula Grill Waikiki. 923-4852.
* The Rich Crandall Trio, with Steve Jones, Abe Lagrimas Jr., and Hiroshi Hata, 8 p.m., Studio 6. 596-2905.
* Swingin' Tradewinds Jass Band, 9 p.m.-midnight, Jazz Minds Art & Cafe. 945-0800.
* Newjass Quartet, modern and groove jazz, 9 p.m.-2 a.m., thirtyninehotel; 21 and older. 599-2552.
* Coors Original Music Night, 9 p.m.-1 a.m., O'Toole's Irish Pub. 536-4138.
* Songwriters' and musicians' open mike, 9 p.m.-midnight, OnStage Drinks and Grinds. 306-7799.
For good measure, there's theater on tap tonight, too:
* "The Work #10." In this Dark Night Series presented by Kumu Kahua on evenings when the theater's season presentations are not on the boards, emerging theater directors compete for artistic bragging rights.
Tonight's single performance features the work of directors Dusty Behner and Nicole Tessier. They will be directing a short play, "45 F Words," written by Chris Doi.
The two emerging directors are showcased in a competitive format. Each director is allowed a limited amount of time to stage the same prepared but unrehearsed scene, using the same actors, on the same night, one right after the other, in front of a live audience. Kumu Kahua calls it "the Iron Chef of Hawaii theater."
See it at 7:30 p.m., Kumu Kahua Theatre; $5. www.kumukahua.org.