Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 4:27 p.m., Saturday, April 15, 2006

Fire guts Wahiawa chop suey house

Advertiser Staff

A kitchen fire at an eatery in Wahiawa early this morning did $300,000 in damage but no one was injured.

HFD Capt. Terry Seelig said the fire started when three employees at the Chung Shan Chop Suey restaurant at 692 Olive Ave. were cooking pork and a stove caught on fire. The ventilation system spread the flames to the roof, Seelig said.

The alarm came in at 1:15 a.m. and firefighters were on the scene at 1:17 a.m. HFD had 35 firefighters at the scene and the fire was under control by 2:18 a.m. The fact that the fire was in the ventilation system made it particularly tough to control, Seelig said.