Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Arrest aftermath closes Hale'iwa bridge

Advertiser Staff

The "Rainbow Bridge" was closed for about two hours yesterday while police investigated an incident in which an officer fired a bullet into a tire of a pickup truck which had backed into the officer's sport utility vehicle. The pickup's three occupants were arrested.

BRUCE ASATO | The Honolulu Advertiser

spacer spacer

A stolen-vehicle case in Hale'iwa ended in gunfire, but no injuries, yesterday morning after a police officer shot out a tire of a pickup truck that hit the officer's car while trying to escape, police said.

The 9:35 a.m. incident happened between the arches of the landmark "Rainbow Bridge" over Anahulu Stream. Three people were arrested, and police booked a 21-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder for allegedly ramming the officer's sport utility vehicle.

The incident began when patrol officers learned that the truck traveling through Hale'iwa toward Waimea Bay had been reported stolen. Officers followed the truck and organized a maneuver in which one officer positioned his car to block the Waimea Bay side of the bridge while another officer followed the truck from behind, police said.

When the 21-year-old driver of the truck saw police blocking the Waimea Bay side of the bridge, police said, he threw the truck into reverse and rammed the front bumper of the pursuing officer's vehicle. The vehicles' bumpers locked. The driver of the truck tried to pull away, but the officer disabled the truck by shooting out its left rear tire, police said.

The driver and his passengers, a 20-year-old man and a 19-year-old Wahiawa woman, were arrested on suspicion of car theft. The 21-year-old also was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and drug possession. The 19-year-old woman had an outstanding warrant, police said.

The bridge was closed for about two hours while officers investigated the incident.