Fumes on campus sicken 6 students
Six fifth-grade students at Mililani Mauka Elementary were taken to Wahiawa General Hospital yesterday morning after reports of noxious odors.
Seven children were initially seen in the school's health room, according to fire officials.
The problem appeared to be isolated to a bathroom structure between the school's portable classrooms and main buildings, fire officials said.
The five boys and one girl, all 10 or 11 years old, were listed in stable condition and were expected to be treated and released, an official said.
KANE'OHE MAN DIED IN DROWNING
The diver whose body was recovered by friends Tuesday night near Mokoli'i Islet, or Chinaman's Hat, was identified yesterday by the medical examiner's office as Milton Oshiro, 59, of Kane'ohe.
An autopsy determined Oshiro drowned.
BODY AT CAMPSITE IDENTIFIED
The Honolulu medical examiner's office identified the homeless man whose body was found yesterday at a Hau'ula campsite as Wayne Huddy, 50. Police do not suspect foul play.
His body was discovered at 12:30 p.m. off 54-359 Kamehameha Highway near Hau'ula Shopping Center.
PAIR CHARGED IN DRUG RAID
A man and woman arrested in a drug raid Saturday were charged yesterday on an O'ahu grand jury warrant.
Henry Francis Rosa Jr., 34, of an 'Ohai Street address is charged with being a felon in possession of a .22-caliber rifle in addition to third-degree promotion of a dangerous drug and possession of drug paraphernalia. Maile Ann Kahele, 33, of the same address, was charged for the two drug-related offenses.
Bail for Rosa is $40,000 and $22,000 for Kahele.
SURF SPOT REOPENS; NO SHARK SEEN
The Kaua'i Ocean Safety Bureau yesterday reopened the surf spot known as Inters or Intersections at Kekaha, a day after they spotted a 6- to 8-foot shark in the area.
The beach was closed Tuesday after people spotted the large whitetip reef shark. There was no sign of the shark yesterday morning.
BLAZE DAMAGES MARINE HOUSING
Federal firefighters and the Honolulu Fire Department responded to a fire yesterday in a housing complex at Marine Corps Base Hawai'i at Kane'ohe Bay.
No one was in the unit at the time and there were no injuries.
Within 10 minutes of the Fire Department's arrival, the fire was under control, the base said.
Firewalls between units prevented the fires from spreading to the adjoining units.
Emergency services and military police received the initial call at 11:08 a.m. and responded within minutes, officials said.
INFORMATION ON QUAKE AID OFFERED
Residents and business owners who suffered property damage from the Oct. 15 earthquakes can obtain information about disaster services at the following days and locations: