Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, January 26, 2006

Police say driver tried to hit officer

Advertiser Staff

A 33-year-old man was arrested early yesterday morning on suspicion of attempted murder of a police officer after he allegedly tried to run over an officer in a downtown parking lot.

Police said two patrol officers were in a parking lot near Kekaulike Street and Nimitz Highway about 12:10 a.m., looking for a man wanted on a parole-violation warrant. The officers came across a blue sport utility vehicle with two men sleeping inside and a glass pipe in clear view on the center console.

Police said the officers knocked on a door and identified themselves as police, at which point the man sleeping in the driver's seat woke up, started the engine and proceeded to leave. The driver hit a parked car while fleeing and then drove straight at one of the police officers, forcing him to jump out of the way, police said.

The driver headed east in the westbound lanes of Nimitz Highway, police said.

Officers pursuing the vehicle lost sight of it in the Ala Moana area, but another officer spotted it on Makaloa Street and began to follow. The SUV driver headed toward downtown on Beretania Street, and the pursuit came to an end on North King Street after the SUV collided with a car, utility pole and fire hydrant.

The driver was arrested. The police officer who jumped out of the vehicle's path was not injured. The SUV's passenger was arrested on outstanding warrants.


Two men, 18 and 24, were arrested yesterday in connection with a stabbing Tuesday night in Waikiki.

Police said the two were in a fight with a 20-year-old man and 15-year-old boy when one of the suspects drew a knife and stabbed the pair about 9:35 p.m. near Ka'iulani and Kuhio avenues.

The 15-year-old arrived at a hospital in critical condition but was upgraded to serious condition. The older stabbing victim was treated at a hospital and released.

The two suspected assailants were arrested on suspicion of attempted second-degree murder.


A 17-year-old boy was arrested last night in connection with the robbery and beating of a man in Makiki.

The man told police he was walking along Pi'ikoi Street near Kina'u Street about 8:10 p.m. when two boys jumped him from behind. Police said the boys beat the man and one of them reached in the victim's pocket and grabbed some money.

The second boy took the man's fanny pack and the two boys fled, police said. Officers said they spotted the boy with the fanny pack and arrested him on suspicion of robbery.

Police last night were searching for the second boy. The man suffered a broken nose and other injuries.