honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Man warned police before house exploded

Advertiser Staff

HILO, Hawai'i A man in a home in Ahualoa on the Big Island warned police to get away from the house on Saturday shortly before an explosion blew out the windows and started a fire that destroyed the building, police said yesterday.

Firefighters later found a body in the ruins of the home, but police yesterday had not yet identified the person who had died.

Patrol officers were called to the home on the Old Mamalahoa Highway shortly after 3 p.m. Saturday in connection with a report of a violation of a Family Court protective order.

Police smelled gasoline and spoke with a man in the Mamalahoa Highway house who "warned them to leave," police said in a written statement.

A short time later there was an explosion from inside the home that sent glass and other debris flying, police said.

Lt. Randall Medeiros said the subject of the Family Court restraining order was a 30-year-old man who used to live in the Ahualoa house.

Police said the complaint was called in from Waimea, and the person who made the complaint was not injured in the fire.

Firefighters estimated the damage to the home and two vehicles in the carport at $200,000.