Suspect said CIA, FBI were his bosses
By Ken Kobayashi
Advertiser Courts Writer
By Ken Kobayashi
Adam Mau-Goffredo believed he was in the CIA and FBI and told police when he was arrested that he worked for the U.S. government, according to city prosecutors.
Mau-Goffredo, facing charges in the shooting deaths of three people at a Tantalus lookout, also told police his occupation and address were "classified," the prosecutors said.
The 23-year-old man was arrested the night of July 6 after he allegedly shot three people in the head and robbed three people at a Round Top Drive home.
At the time of his arrest, he was wearing a hat with the letters "CIA," prosecutors said.
In addition, Mau-Goffredo, who had been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, had not been taking his medication regularly for about six months prior to the shooting, prosecutors said.
City prosecutors provided that information in a request yesterday asking Circuit Judge Dexter Del Rosario to appoint three mental health experts to evaluate Mau-Goffredo. The three would be appointed to determine whether he is fit to stand trial and whether he was legally insane at the time of the slayings.
The request triggers what could be the basis of an insanity defense for Mau-Goffredo, who is charged with what prosecutors said appeared to be execution-style murders of a taxi driver, Manh Nguyen, and Jason and Colleen Takamori, a Kapahulu couple.
He is also charged with the home-invasion robbery.
Although the defense can make the request for the panel, city prosecutors said they are entitled under the law to raise the issue if it appears that a defendant's mental condition will be an issue. They also said they wanted to avoid any "unnecessary delay" in the case.
Mau-Goffredo's lawyer, Brook Hart, did not oppose the request, but asked for a hearing, which is set for Sept. 13 before Del Rosario.
"We're going to try to work out with the government aspects of it that can be agreed on, and beyond that, I think I'm not free to comment," Hart said.
In the request, city Deputy Prosecutor Christopher Van Marter said that according to Mau-Goffredo's caretaker, the defendant believed he was a member of the two federal agencies.
He said the caretaker, a reference to William Roy Carroll Jr., also reported to police that Mau-Goffredo was not taking his medication on a regular basis for six months.
Van Marter also cited the court proceedings that resulted in a state judge appointing Carroll and Mau-Goffredo's mother, Lynette L.L. Mau, as co-guardians of Mau-Goffredo.
In addition, Van Marter said he has been informed that the defense has consulted with psychiatrist Daryl Matthews as a mental health defense witness in the case.
Van Marter attached a copy of a court order signed July 12 by Honolulu District Judge Faye Koyanagi granting Matthews the authority to meet with Mau-Goffredo at the O'ahu Community Correctional Center for evaluation and treatment.
Mau-Goffredo is being held without bail.
If Del Rosario grants the prosecution's request, three mental health experts will be appointed to review police reports and Mau-Goffredo's mental history and interview the defendant. Their reports aren't expected to be filed for weeks.
In behalf of his client, Hart has entered a not-guilty plea. The trial was scheduled for the week of Sept. 18, but will now be postponed to another date that will be set later.
Reach Ken Kobayashi at firstname.lastname@example.org.