Posted at 8:08 a.m., Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Odor overcomes UH med school security guards
Advertiser StaffA Fire Department hazardous material response team was sent to the University of Hawaii medical school campus this morning after two security guards reported being overcome by a chemical odor about 5:45 a.m.
Fire Capt. Kenison Tejada said the two workers complained about having difficulty breathing and were being treated outside the building by city paramedics.
He said the odor appeared to be coming from one of the classrooms in which a broken beaker was found in one of the sinks. In addition to the two security workers, a third person may also have been affected by the fumes,Tejada said.
"Right now, we are waiting for the university people to show up and are formulating our plan of action," Tejada said.
The classroom was sealed off while the response plan was being devised, Tejada said.
Streets makai of Ala Moana near the medical school have been cordoned off.