Posted at 11:32 a.m., Thursday, May 4, 2006
Honolulu Boy Choir gets new lease on life
By Derek Paiva
Advertiser Staff Writer
In March, the board announced that the 32-year-old choir would disband at the end of May unless a viable financial plan for the cash-strapped organization emerged. Concerned parents formed Friends of the Honolulu Boy Choir, offering to create a business plan with the hope that the board would hand over the organization.
Boy choir executive director Kane Kanetani said the business plan submitted by the parents this week promised hoped for long-term financial sustainability. Parents plan to seek government grants and support from local businesses.
"The parents will still have to work hard on their fundraising efforts year round," said Kanetani. "We've received an outpouring of support from the community. We took a lot of (monetary) pledges."
The choir's new board approved the business plan on Tuesday. The board will continue seeking donations from the public and three- to four-year commitments from businesses offering financial support.
A fundraiser, "Breakfast with the Boys" is being planned.
The boy choir's next performance will be at the Honolulu Youth Symphony's annual Aloha Concert Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. on May 7 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village's Tapa Ballroom.
Auditions for new boy choir members ages 7 to 12, postponed from earlier this year, are scheduled for May 24 at 5:45 p.m. and May 27 at 1 p.m.
For audition appointments, call 596-7464.
To make a donation, call Friends of the Honolulu Boy Choir chair Michelle Saito at 542-4736.