Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 11:38 a.m., Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fumes send seniors home from Waikiki center

Advertiser Staff

Epoxy fumes from a hotel driveway forced the Waikiki Community Center to send about 40 senior citizens home this morning.

The scent wafted into the center at 9:30 a.m. according to an employee. The fumes did not affect the community center's pre-school but one employee did pass out and was transported to Straub Hospital in good condition.

Honolulu fire fighters say it will take between six and nine hours to clear the fumes from the affected areas.