Posted at 4:29 p.m., Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Nauseating fumes fill Child and Family Service office
Advertiser StaffFive people were taken to the hospital in stable condition this morning after contact cement fumes filled a Child and Family Service office in 'Aiea. The fumes came from work being done on an office located in the same building as Child and Family Service.
A 47-year-old woman, a 48-year-old woman, a 22-year-old woman and two 16-year-old boys were taken to the Pali Momi Medical Center shortly after 10:30 a.m. in stable condition after they complained of dizziness, nausea, and headaches, said Bryan Cheplic, city EMS spokesman.
Workers located at a business next to Child and Family Service had been putting furniture together last night and used contact cement, which sent fumes into the air conditioning vents and crawl spaces in the office, he said.
When the office building's air conditioning system kicked in at 8 a.m., the fumes were sent throughout the Child and Family Service office.