Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, May 25, 2006

Contact U.S. Treasury to get replacement for lost bonds

By Greg Wiles
Advertiser Columnist

Q. I misplaced my Series E U.S. Savings Bonds that I purchased through payroll deduction during the late 1970s. They were bought with payroll deductions and mailed to my home address. Can I get replacements?

G. Heu, Kailua

A. Yes, there is a way to get these back and the U.S. Treasury Department's Bureau of Public Debt has procedures for filing and getting replacements.

Stephen Meyerhardt, bureau spokesman, said it's not uncommon for the bonds to be lost, destroyed or stolen.

"People aren't very good about keeping the issue dates and serial numbers of the bonds and they quite often can't remember where they put them," Meyerhardt said.

The bureau typically recommends people keep the bonds in bank safety deposit boxes so they don't get lost. It also suggests people keep a record of the bonds, including their series type, date issued, amount and serial numbers.

But if you haven't done this and want to stop searching around your house, you can contact the department. If you have your serial numbers and issue dates, it will take about four to six weeks to get replacements after filing a claim for the bonds on the bureau's form PD F 1048.

Meyerhardt said you typically can get the form from your bank, or by writing to:

Bureau of Public Debt
P.O. Box 7012
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012.

You also can get the form by searching for it at the bureau's Web site, www.publicdebt.treas.gov/.

If you don't have the serial numbers, Meyerhardt suggested you write the bureau and request they do a records search. Be sure to include as much information as you can, including your name, the address where the bonds were mailed, what series they were (E, EE or I), when they were issued, your Social Security number and "anything else that might help us narrow down the search."

He said after the search is completed you should file the above form to get the replacement bonds.

Do you have a question about personal finance, taxes or other money matters? Reach Akamai Money columnist Greg Wiles at 525-8088 or gwiles@honoluluadvertiser.com