Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted at 3:42 p.m., Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ewa Beach fire displaces two people

Advertiser Staff

Two people were displaced from their homes late Friday after a fire in Ewa Beach gutted one townhome and damaged another.

Capt. Kenison Tejada, a HFD spokesman, said the fire in the Palm Village Town Villa started around 11 p.m. on the balcony of unit U in the two-story, eight-unit townhouse building.

Firefighters were called to the building at 91-1049 Mikohu St. at 11:13, and the second-floor unit was fully engulfed when they arrived.

Three dozen firefighters brought the blaze under control at 12:13 a.m., and extinguished it at 12:49 a.m.

The fire caused $180,000 in damage to unit U, he said.

Discarded cigarettes on the balcony were believed to be the cause.

The unit below unit U sustained $50,000 in heat and smoke damage.

One person from each apartment was displaced, and the Red Cross assisted them in finding housing, Tejada said.

A third apartment, next to unit U, sustained some water damage, Tejada said.

No one was injured.