Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Sunday, May 28, 2006

Fire in 'Ewa Beach townhouse displaces 2

Advertiser Staff

Two people were displaced from their homes late Friday after a fire in 'Ewa Beach gutted one townhouse and damaged another.

Capt. Kenison Tejada, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said the fire in the Palm Village Town Villa started around 11 p.m. on the balcony of unit U in the twostory, eight-unit townhouse building.

Firefighters were called to the building at 91-1049 Mikohu St. at 11:13 p.m.; the second-floor unit was engulfed in flames when they arrived.

Three dozen firefighters brought the blaze under control at 12:13 a.m. and extinguished it at 12:49 a.m.

The fire caused $180,000 in damage to unit U, he said.

Discarded cigarettes on the balcony were believed to be the cause.

The unit below unit U sustained $50,000 in heat and smoke damage.

One person from each apartment was displaced, and the Red Cross helped them find housing, Tejada said.

A third apartment, next to unit U, sustained some water damage, Tejada said.

No one was injured.