Fire in 'Ewa Beach townhouse displaces 2
Two people were displaced from their homes late Friday after a fire in 'Ewa Beach gutted one townhouse and damaged another.
Capt. Kenison Tejada, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said the fire in the Palm Village Town Villa started around 11 p.m. on the balcony of unit U in the twostory, eight-unit townhouse building.
Firefighters were called to the building at 91-1049 Mikohu St. at 11:13 p.m.; the second-floor unit was engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Three dozen firefighters brought the blaze under control at 12:13 a.m. and extinguished it at 12:49 a.m.
The fire caused $180,000 in damage to unit U, he said.
Discarded cigarettes on the balcony were believed to be the cause.
The unit below unit U sustained $50,000 in heat and smoke damage.
One person from each apartment was displaced, and the Red Cross helped them find housing, Tejada said.
A third apartment, next to unit U, sustained some water damage, Tejada said.
No one was injured.