honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

The Honolulu Advertiser

Share your commuting experience

We asked your to tell us about your commute: How did the closure of the Pali Highway affect your ability to pick up the kids on time? Did you find alternative routes? Read comments below.

You can also send us pictures. Register and submit your photos and view the gallery.

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 9:21 pm HST]
I rode the Pali at 8:30am this morning and there was hardly any traffic, it was SO NICE! Got to my designation in about half the time. It was weird to drive on the opposite side, like in a foreign country. It was so cool to experience though. I kept thinking as if I was doing the wrong thing and all these cars would come the normal direction against me. Like a dream or something where everything goes wrong and that you're doing the wrong things that you wouldn't do in real life. The mudslide looked really cool, but man, there's a whole lot out there to clean up.
Kendra
Kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 3:54 pm HST]
Although traffic congestion is inevitable, there are ways to slow the rate at which it intensifies. Several tactics could do that effectively, especially if used in concert, but nothing can eliminate peak-hour traffic congestion from large metropolitan regions here. Only serious economic recessions which are hardly desirable can even forestall an increase. For the time being, the only relief for traffic-plagued commuters is a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle with a well-equipped stereo system, a hands-free telephone, and a daily commute with someone they like. Congestion has become part of commuters' daily leisure time, and it promises to stay that way.
Oh Well.......
Kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 3:23 pm HST]
The day of the mudslide, we chose to go home from Kalihi via Hawaii Kai, and it was a breeze. Easier than "normal" days when we go home that way. The next morning, first I think a LOT of people chose to stay home or go into town later, and with the contra flow lane, there was absolutely no traffic. My kids commented that they should contra flow every day!! This was a big blessing to be able to do this. If I remember correctly, the contra flow was set up when we had some sort of construction (oh yeah, the other land slide!). They should look at creating various break points in the freeway on the H1 and H2, Nimitz, etc., so that whenever there is a catastophe or an accident requiring closure of that area, traffic can be rerouted efficiently.
Lisa D.
Waimanalo

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 3:19 pm HST]
Hope no one else was stuck on School Street while the police officers held up and allowed minimal cars to get onto the Likelike Highway. Many of us were stuck on that road for over an hour and a half before they had the sense to turn on the traffic light and allow equal access to the Likelike Highway from both School Street and the H1. While it alleviated traffic on the H1, it created a bigger jam on School Street. If that was the intent, it would have been nice to warn folks to get on the H1 instead of School Street since the plan was to not allow traffic to flow on that street.
Frustrated Commuter
Kaneohe

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 2:52 pm HST]
Good Afternoon and Aloha to all! First of all, I am from the Westside of Oahu, Waianae. I commute daily, Monday through Friday from home to the heart of town, needless to say...MORNING & AFTERNOON RUSH HOURS...to, and from work. I must admit, I do get a bit ancy sitting in traffic, especially if it's a STOP and GO kind of movement, but my calm remains. I must say, it's the best way to go. Being in a rush is out! That's one of the few or many causes of traffic on our roads. The weather is a factor, but, HEY...It's mother nature! So respect it. If traffic is a major issue in your life (VENTING-below) and this is what makes you feel as if it's another reason to move off of this forsaken island. Then so be it. Come talk to me when you start commuting from the West side. Thanks!
Noelani
Waianae

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 2:21 pm HST]
Good Afternoon, well I commute to Waikiki from Nanakuli every morning. I can say that it gets pretty heavy and frustrating at times, however we do live on an island so not too many highways and byways to use. It forces me to leave a few hours earlier and I still hit the traffic.. You just never know when it will be a good day. All everyone needs to do is listen to music that takes their mind off the matter of traffic... and relax. Another thing is to get those whos cars are not reliable off the road they cause the traffic with their stalls. And for the teens who do not know how to drive stay off the roads. Use common sense, be courteous and use your blinkers, dont cut off anyone without knowing there is sensible space for your car and one big thing SMILE... thats all I have to say.. aloha!
Hi'ilani
Nanakuli

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 2:16 pm HST]
Traffic last night wasn't bad. We left downtown at 6:30pm and got to Pearl City by 7:15pm. What I do notice, however, is people driving and acting a little more crazy ... maybe it's the weather. But coming into work today (driving from Pearl City to town at about 1:00pm), this crazy lady in a older-model Camry LPN MEW --- tried to cut me off and race with me ... SHE LOOKED LIKE AN OLD SCHOOL TEACHER!!!! And then, walking across a cross walk in downtown, an old man almost ran me down trying to time my walking and his driving through --- I HAD TO HIT HIS CAR WITH MY UMBRELLA!!! Where could these old people be going to in such a rush?!!! McDonald's for free coffee??!! C'mon, simmer down now people ... the coffee will be there when you get there.
Amused
Pearl City

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 1:31 pm HST]
To: VENTING you speak as if catastrophies like our landslides and earthquakes don't happen in other places like the mainland or anywere else...it happens there and at much higher magnitudes than here but it just seems so much worse here because our surface area is much smaller...and because we are so much smaller, it's very likely that everyone on the same island gets affected... maybe Hawai'i is too small for you to live... hopefully you will be able to move away from this 'godforsaken' island as you call it to somewhere where the problems of one town or city does not affect another... times like these when mother nature is the one in charge, we need to show ALOHA and be patient... We should be thankful that our loved ones (or anyone for that matter) were not hurt...
g
Honolulu

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 1:27 pm HST]
Yesterday's traffic wasn't even bad going to Kaneohe. Actually it was pretty normal. Now Halloween evening's traffic was ridiculous. It took me almost two hours to get from the Advertiser building to Kaneohe.
Brandon
Moiliili

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 1:13 pm HST]
My daily commute down the H-3 to Kailua is a lot slower than usual. Kapa'a Quarry Road is shut down, so I'm forced to wait in traffic for 45 minutes to drive around to access Kapa'a Quarry Rd via Pali Hwy. So it's raining, and there's traffic... Big deal. It gives me time to listen to a few extra tracks on my CD and time to enjoy the view of rushing waterfalls. Accentuate the positives... life is way to short to be as miserable as those self righteous suburbanites who just complain complain complain. Get over it. Enjoy the rain for the wonderment that it truly is... Aloha nui
Kawika Muller
Pearl City

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 12:51 pm HST]
People like to complain about everything and anything, that's human nature but how can you predict or prepare for mother nature or any other emergencies? The state and city can make emergency plans for everything they can think of but when it happens you just can't expect the plans to be put in action in just a matter of minutes. It still takes time to evaluate the situation as far as public safety goes, coordinate the personnal and equipments needed. I rather be safe than sorry. I think that the Governor and Mayor are doing a great job under these conditions and should get more credit for what there are doing. Put yourshelf in their shoes. You think you can do a better job? I bet you get more complaints than they are getting.
M
Kaimuki

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 12:44 pm HST]
This is Hawaii and the Windward side of the island is the wettest side. Of course things like this is going to happen. Land slides have been happening for centuries. Rain and flooding happen people. We should all be lucky to live in a beautiful place, and for all those who were inconvenienced by the traffic, think of the longer drive a nice scenic route and be lucky that you're alive to witness such beauty.
Teri
Kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 12:42 pm HST]
Get your facts straight "KAILUA FRITZ" the sirens didn't activate because of lack of back up power, they're made to alert citizens of an imminent threat, and there was none following the earth quake! Sounding them would have only caused panic in people like you. And for you "VENTING" if you can predict the future and how mother nature will deal her cards accordingly on a day to day basis, I like to take you to VEGAS! Other than that, If you prefer the snow, tornados, wild fires, and the countless other catastropic events that take place from yours or our prior residences, then go back!!!
Better Than 50 Below Freezing
Kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 12:17 pm HST]
Traffic is caused by many different reasons. It could be anywhere from a stalled vehilcle, a fender bender, an accident or better yet...a bridge that has been hit. These are what or may be some of the causes of horrible traffic. As far as the bad weather, no one can...nor should say anything about the state not planning accordingly of alternate routes! Weather is Mother Nature people. This is what may cause serious accidents being that it's not safe on the roads. We really should be complaining about a "Regular day". Impatient Drivers who are speeding, cutting in and out of vehicles...not paying any mind to the road, which ends up in accidents. This is what we shoud discuss. Be aware at all times, paying good attention may save you less time on the road.
Complainers
Waianae

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 11:57 am HST]
I was having flashbacks as I was driving home H1 Ewa bound to the pedestrian bridge collapse that happened in Pearl City last month. I'm still stewing that the state couldn't find a better way to help westbound residents get home. After hours of sitting in traffic, I eventually ended up staying in Honolulu. A contraflow lane was opened on the Pali for Kailua residents this morning. Why wasn't one opened during the bridge collapse?
Irritated
Waipahu

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 11:49 am HST]
this is for "venting": BEAT IT if you don't like it!
resident
mililani

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 11:33 am HST]
Again we test the quality of our local government by the way they respond to the aid of the tax paying citizens. A couple of weeks ago it was warning sirens that wouldnt work because of being wired into the power grid without backup. Then there is the almost weekly sewer spills, the water main breaks, the beach closures, the pot holed roads. Now a vital main artery the Pali Highway can't seemed to be restored in a timely manner. I wonder what is next... Perhaps it is time that we move away from a third world mindset and get with the rest of America. Perhaps local government should be a lot less "local".
Kailua Fritz
Kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 6:33 am HST]
Surprise! Large rainfall hits Oahu. Flash floods and mudslides. Wake up.....The rains are going to keep coming but nothing proactive done to prevent the slides etc. Just react to every new catastrophe as it happens. Ho hum.
terry hills
waikiki

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 5:49 am HST]
I've have wondered why they took away the connection between the Likelike and the H-3 Kailua-bound. In an emergency situation such as the closure of the Pali, having that connection would decrease the traffic snarl at the base of the Likelike and get us Kailua/Waimanalo residents home quicker and safer.
chip fletcher
kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 12:56 am HST]
Just yet another reason why I can't wait to move off this God- forsaken island....anytime there's something "catastrophic" as someone hitting a bridge or a landslide, the state can't and doesn't effectively plan accordingly and the whole island is essentially affected.
Venting
Kailua

[Posted on November 2, 2006 at 12:13 am HST]
Guess I won't be taking the Pali tomorrow morning. Took the H3 today cuz I had to anyway, but had no traffic problems. The rain though, another story. Could barely see and it was a mess, but I made it. Was so happy to be substitute-teaching in Waipahu because there was only clouds and sprinkles to deal with most of the time. :) Just puddles on the road can be dangerous too and then I have to wonder if it's worse to drive or bike to get anywhere closeby? Both pose different advantages, as well as risks.
Kendra
Kailua

[Posted on November 1, 2006 at 6:27 pm HST]
Once again the DOT has clearly demonstracted a lack of skilled leadership and inability to respond to circumstances in a timely and effective manner. Pictures posted on the Advertiser web site clearly show passable Kailua bound lanes on the Pali in the middle of the day, just hours after the slide. To close the road to evening communters - Kailua bound - and negatively impact many thousands of lives, including children in schools waiting for pick-up, is both typical and reprehensible. Typical in that the only approach that seems to be applied is to close it down and wait it out while the public suffers through multiple challenges (recent H-1 fiasco). Reprehensible in that there is obviously no willingness or ability to apply reason to a unique circumstance for the benefit of taxpayers.
Craig Neher
Maunawili, Kailua

[Posted on November 1, 2006 at 6:11 pm HST]
My employer was nice enough to let us go at 3:45 p.m. today, was able to go from downtown to Kailua in about an hour via the Likelike. Not bad considering. Tomorrow morning could be another story.
Karen Wilson
Kailua

[Posted on November 1, 2006 at 6:10 pm HST]
Many thanks to the HPD officers directing traffic on Likelike Highway from School on up through Kalihi Valley. Traffic flowed smoothly through at about 5:30 p.m. thanks to the good decision to modify the traffic signals and have the officers in control.
Brandon