Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted on: Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001?

Reader poll: What had the biggest impact, Pearl Harbor or Sept. 11?
spacer spacer
On Monday, the country marks the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Many in Hawai'i were getting ready for work when terrorists flew airplanes into the World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon.

Where were you when you first heard of the attacks and what were your thoughts at the time?

[Posted on April 30, 2010 at 3:16 am HST]
QdGx7t kcyseubbznlr, [url=http://qwwpqudfethr.com/]qwwpqudfethr[/url], [link=http://qzywvvgtapiq.com/]qzywvvgtapiq[/link], http://rwchoczeluxy.com/

[Posted on September 22, 2006 at 11:17 am HST]
91-1021 KEKUILANI LP #C, KAPOLEI, HI 96707

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 7:36 am HST]
I was on my way to school for my 9am class. I heard on the radio that a plane had hit the world trade center. I also heard about it on the way home and they said that now there were two planes that hit. i was stumped, Are our air line pilets this terrable?? When I made it home I turned on the TV and saw the Trade Center fall!! This is when I new we were under attack. ah
Adam Heiserman
Fostoria, Ohio

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 7:35 pm HST]
I was in the Navy (still am). I had just checked onboard the USS George Washington CVN 73 5 days earlier in Norfolk, Va. It was my very first ship. I was an airman recruit at the timeWe left Norfolk on the 10th and were off the coast of Florida doing sea trials. We were sent to New York harbor and got there the next day. we spent a week there doing sir security. i remember seeig the huge cloud of dust and smoke just pouring all over the city. It's something I will never forget. We ended up going to the Persian Gulf 8 months later to participate in Operation Enduring Freedom where we exacted our revenge in Afghanistan.

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 4:50 pm HST]
I was attending college in Maine at the time. I woke up that morning to the report on the radio. There were some security concerns in our area, as my collegs is only about 20 minutes from the Bush Family compound. When it was first reported that 2 of the terrorists came through Portland airport, and that they stayed overnight at the hotel by the airport, I remember feeling almost ill - on Sept 10th, a group of us drove right past that hotel and the airport on our way to have dinner in Portland.

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 2:54 pm HST]
I working in my office on the fifth floor of the Pentagon when my wife called and said that a plane had hit the twin towers in NY. I told her I'll check it out and went to my boss's office when the 2nd planed hit and he said Osam Bin Laden. I went back to my office and was just about to write to some friends in Korea when I felt the explosion of the plane which I didn't know was a plane I thought that it was a car bomb at first. I got up and walked out of my office and saw my boss and he said to get our people out of the area. I went over to the technicians and told them to clear out and so did I. As I was walking out of the building which was choatic with people trying to get out the entrances, I finally got out and saw the black smoke and was told to move across the parking lot.
Gilbert D. Osurman
Seoul, Korea

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 12:14 pm HST]
My Wife & I were spending a nice vacation in Kona at the time of the attack. We were staying at the Royal Kona Resort. We had just arrived the day before from Honoulu. But with the kindness of your people we still enjoyed the rest of our vacation. Hope to be back in April 2007.
Gene Sawyer

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 10:51 am HST]
My daughter called me from Albuquerque, N. M. at about 4:30 A. M. and told me that the Twin Towers were gone. I turned on the TV and was stunned by what I saw. After a few minutes, I realized that the attack was against all American people and not just the military. The enemy was attacking American civilians. Being a retired Marine, I knew that we were in a different kind of conflict. We now defintely have to defend our country. That is why people join the military: Defend Your Country.
Albert P. Miral
Ewa Beach, Hi

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 8:15 am HST]
I lived in new york at the tim where i was born and raised. I was working construction in Brooklyn about five miles or so away from Manhattan, i first thought it was a small plane when the report came over the radio,when i went to the roof,the sight was incredible, i went to call my father who is a retired NYC firefighter{he keeps a FD scanner on all the time to get some info}because of this i missed the second plane. After the second plane everybody went home.constant phone calls to friends and family members to find out who was missing, my mother called me later that day to inform me that her cousins husband Capt. Victor Saracini was the pilot of flight 175, the surreal day had just gottne worse, I personnaly knew 10 people who died, my father knew at least two hundred of the firfighters
peter anglim

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 7:47 am HST]
I woke up on 9/11/01, and immediately called Continental Airlines to make a flight reservation to the East Coast. The agent told me that she could not make a reservation. I asked why and she said to turn on the Television. The world has not been the same since.

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 7:40 am HST]
Dela Cruz is at the Dela Cruz doing some Dela Cruz with some other Dela Cruz.
Dela Cruz
Dela Cruz

[Posted on September 9, 2006 at 11:24 pm HST]
I was asleep in my apartment when my sister called from California (because of the time difference, more likely for them to hear about it first) to turn on the t.v. The most shocking vision any person could wake up to.
Salt Lake

[Posted on September 9, 2006 at 5:48 am HST]
Living in Japan, it was late in the evening for us. I had a business dinner and didn't return home until a little after 10:00 p.m., just as the towers collapsed. When I walked in the house, I saw my wife pulling her hair and stamping her feet in the middle of the living room while screaming at the television. At the time, all I can remember is that I had never seen such a terrified human being in all my life and was confused about what she could have possibly seen that could elict such a reaction. In fact, she had just seen the Twin Towers collapse on air. Needless to say, we watched CNN throughout the night without going to sleep.
William Heishman
Yokohama, Japan

[Posted on September 9, 2006 at 4:54 am HST]
I was asleep with my wife when my mom from California called and told me that the Pentagon got bombed. I was like, no way the Pentagon can get bombed. She told me to turn on the TV, the World Trade Centers also got bombed. I turned on the TV and couldn't believe it. I thought, who the heck delcared war on the United States? We then watched the second tower get hit. It was a bad day.
John Virata
OC (formerly Manoa)

[Posted on September 8, 2006 at 11:05 pm HST]
My brother was a United Airlines flight attendant at that time and frequently worked flight 93 from Newark to San Fransisco. He happened to be off the week of 9/11, & we were both staying at my parents house. He woke me up and told me to come watch the TV with him when the planes first hit the WTC. I remember his phone just going off. Friends & family calling, worried sick, thinking that he was flying that day. After a while, he just stopped answering the phone. We didn't say anything to each other, just sat there in shock, watching the events unfold. Then, when the news about flight 93 going down in PA was aired, my brother lost it. His phone kept ringing & ringing, but he couldn't answer it. We both just sat there & cried.
Aiea, Hawaii

[Posted on September 8, 2006 at 1:09 pm HST]
I was curled up asleep with my daughter. My cell phone started ringing and with my eyes barely open I saw that it was my mom in Seattle. I assumed she was calling (awfully early-it was 5:30AM) with some last minute request for local food since I was supposed to get on a plane to see her on 9/12. When I answered it, my normally unemotional mother was hysterical. She was sobbing & her first understandable words to me were "We've been attacked." I thought someone broke into her home & hurt my family but she told me to turn on the tv. I had no words. I was horrified and in complete shock. My body was numb and cold.I couldn't stop watching and thinking about how many innocent lives were taken; how many children would be orphaned; how many loved one were lost and about who could do this and why.

[Posted on September 8, 2006 at 5:21 am HST]
I was back then a student at BYU Hawaii. Before going to breakfast, I went to check some news online. It was there that I saw what happened in NY. I was chocked, I couldn't believed it. It seemed unrealed. Then when I was in the cafeteria I saw everything on TV. How could this be possible? Such a great nation being attacked that way was unthinkable. I felt sorry for all those who passed away. It made me realized that everything could be changed in one moment when you don't expect it. But I do admire the USA because it does everything to protect its country and citizens.

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 11:12 pm HST]
Approximatly 5:30 am my cousin's wife came into my bedroom waking me saying, we're being attacked by terrorist. I said "what" and I jumped up immediatly asking "what are you talking about?" She said "come look at the tv!" I went into the living room where on the news the first plane had hit the 1st tower. OMG, we sat there in disbelief! Then I needed to get ready for work. Im a teacher and worked in Costa Mesa, CA. I was so worried because my school was right behind John Wayne airport. That made us worry that the airport might be hit too and we would have to be the ones that our students look to for protection. I was also worried that I needed to be strong for all my students! I cried all the way to work (20 minutes away), thinking of all the people that were possibly killed in the towers!
Mission Viejo, CA

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 6:12 pm HST]
We were stationed in Hawai'i that day. I receivd a call at 5:00 a.m. from overseas and the caller was all upset and saying that NY was being attacked, that 50,000 people may have died. It all sounded so bizarre, I first thought it was a realy bad joke.. when I turned on the TV, I was shocked. The military housing immediatly closed down and all we could hear was fighter planes. The next few days were just like being in some strange world. Every larger place like the military shopping places, but also Island malls etc. were closed down. There was an overall very somber, sad feeling. I will not forget how several months later, during a children's activity at the Aiea Mall, we all spontaneously sang, cried, and marched through the Aiea Mall singing our National Anthem!
Layton, Utah

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 4:20 pm HST]
I just started a 14 day tour of England & Europe. When returning to the tour bus in Bath, England, people were talking about a plane being hijacked in NYC. The bus driver had the radio on for the whole bus to listen to and everything being reported seemed to be complete hysteria. Upon returning to the hotel, our tour host briefly told me about it describing it as "it's like the movies." He rushed us off to see a play. The theatre held a moment of silence. Up to this point, I did not realize the impact of what happened. It was midnight when I got my first glimpse of the day referred to as 9/11. It was surreal. My thoughts--how do we get back home or are we going to get back home with all the airport closures. Phone calls and emails checking my whereabouts and safety.

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 3:32 pm HST]
I was working as a security guard, when a fellow worker, rushed into the break room and turned the channel. it was about 3 am in the morning, and my thoughts were could it happen here? i work at a twin tower high rise condominium in downtown honolulu. it felt like i was watching a movie, no way could that be happening. Later in the day i worked at my day job (HPU security) and i remember the tenseness in the air. a couple of guys were very PO'd about the whole situation and were looking at the arabic students with contempt. nothing boiled over thankfully. i also witnessed dozens of people walking like zombies, oblivious too all that was going on around them.
shannon sanchez
ewa beach

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 3:08 pm HST]
i was getting ready for work and i turned on the tv and saw the world trade center on fire.i felt like somebody knocked me in the face.i was totally floored and shocked and then i began to sob incontrollaby for the next week. i didnt even want to work, i was so heartbroken. to this day i still feel the same and very deeply saddened for how the victims died and for the families. i will never forget and everyone else should not forget, for that would be truly a crime! thank you advertiser.

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 12:20 pm HST]
home watching it unfold on CNBC

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 11:59 am HST]
I had just returned home from a 10 month solo backpacking journey around the world. I was scheduled to have been in NY from the 10th to the 15th of Sept. but was longing for the islands so bad I decided to change my flight from London, cut my journey short and head home. I was enjoying my last day at the Hilton Waikaloa when I got a call from a friend. I thought to myself as I watched the footage, "the world as I just saw it is never going to be the same, I'm so glad to be home."
Thomas Kerian

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 10:49 am HST]
My mom was watching the khon morning news at home and had heard what had happend. She woke me up and told me the news i was shocked to have heard what happend. I left to go to school and it took us an hour to reach to school because of the traffic and it usually takes us at least 5 to 10 minutes to reach to school. When we reached school, it was empty because most of the kids where from schofield and during that time it was hard to leave and get off post..I could not forget that day. I was in a media class, so we did a piece on the story. It was just so sad and depressing to watch it.. I really felt helpless..
kimberly hanakahi

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 10:19 am HST]
We had just come back from a bike ride in Holland where we were living for the year. It was about 2 pm and I happened to turn on the TV. We were shocked to see the 2nd plane hit live, and watch the buildings collapse. Everyone in Holland was so supportive. People called us with their condolences. There was so much good will toward the United States at that moment. Flags were flown at half mast and a moment of silence observed the next day. Flowers and letters of condolences were left outside the American Embassy. The world was on our side.
Brad White

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 10:10 am HST]
I'm a retired Marine. I've been working at the U. S. Pacific Command and was here on September 11, 2001. My duties at the time required me to be at Camp Smith daily around 5 a.m. for teleconferencing with Washington, where it would be 11 a.m. My normal routine was to get up at 4, energize the coffee maker, and flip on the TV. I was not fully awake, so I don't remember if it was live or a tape, but I saw the second impact. Total disbelief. All I could think of was that I had fallen asleep while watching a Godzilla re-run. OK, where's the big monkey? I don't think it started to register until I was in the traffic gridlock inching my way up Halawa Heights. I saw the F-15s cllimbing out from Hickam to intercept inbound commercial flights. My only thought: we're at war.
Marshall Lefavor

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 9:07 am HST]
That morning I had seen it on the news but decided to go to work anyways...when I got to work, the Waikele Shoppin Ctr parking lot was empty and I was told to go back home which I did not have a problem doing...I remember feeling like I didn't know what to do... It wasn't happening here in HI so I was relieved I didn't have to worry about my family being in danger... but I remember feeling so sad for the people's lives who were stuck in the middle of it... Then I just felt angry...

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 8:27 am HST]
I was getting ready for another day of school during my senior year at Leilehua. The phone kept ringing, but i was showering so i didn't answer it right away. When I finally rushed downstairs to get the phone, i noticed the blinking light on the answering machine. "You have eleven messages" the man on the machine said. Message after message,, I heard screams and cries from family on the mainland. They though the world was comming to an end. They thought we would never see eachother again. I woke up the rest of my family and we all watched the news. We were all devastated and really could not fathom what was happening. We made a bad decision later that night. We went to Wal-Mart. With the heightened security measures, it took us nearly eight hours to drive home from Wal-Mart to Schofield.

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 6:57 am HST]
I'd gone into work early that morning (I was an Art Director for Scholastic Inc. in NYC - which is less than 1/8 of a mile from where the World Trade Center stood) to get a headstart on the day. About 10 minutes after I'd sat down at my desk, a coworker told me to come up to the rooftop deck outside of the company cafeteria. There were at least 300 people jammed into a small space staring in horror as smoke billowed out of WTC 1. Twenty minutes later horror turned to abject fear as we watched the another plane crash into the second tower. At that point we were told to evacuate the building. It took me six hours to walk home as the subways were all shut down. My most vivid memory of that day was the way people froze and looked skyward everytime we heard a jet fighter pass overhead.

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 6:46 am HST]
A co-worker told me a plane hit the WTC. I checked CNN and thought it was just a horrible accident. Then we heard about another plane. Ten minutes later I get a phone call from my mom telling me her boss just saw, from his office window, a plane crashing into the Pentagon. I immediately felt sickened with panic & left work. As I left the building I felt like screaming to everybody that we were under attack. The sun was shining, the sky was clear blue, the birds were chirping, and it was such a beautiful morning. Then in the distance, as I'm driving towards Arlington, I see the smoke and it feels like I'm in a horror movie. It's the worst feeling I've ever had. And to think I was in the exact spot the plane crashed just 1 week earlier and lost a comrade, brings chills down my spine.
Alexandria, VA

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 5:46 am HST]
I was getting ready for pt and I was listening to the radio when the announcer was saying the world trade center towers are "gone." I thought it was so weird to use that word instead of bombed or attacked. I went to pt and we all took a moment. I was shocked and angry that people could be capable of doing something so heinous.

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 4:24 am HST]
My wife was taking my 2 daughters and I to the airport when we heard the news on the radio. We were going to Honolulu to visit family. My kids were scared and sad when they found out what had happened. Three days later we got on the plane and left for Hawaii.
Cory Sajulga

[Posted on September 7, 2006 at 2:51 am HST]
I was at USAFA, cramming for a math test. The teacher came in to give us our test and mentioned something about a plane hitting the WTC, but didn't seem all that concerned. After that saw the 2nd plane hit when I got to next period. Spent the rest of the day still going to class, knowing the world had changed.
Ft Worth, TX

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 9:52 pm HST]
I was sleeping soundly in my hotel room near the PDX airport. I was suppose to fly out that morning, but around 7:00am (PCT) a co-worker called, "Turn on the TV! I don't think we're going anywhere today." I watched in disbelief. Soon, I heard more and more phones ringing on my floor. It was like popcorn cooking: at first just a few kernels popping (ringing), then full-blown POP, POP, POP (RING, RING, RING). I was by myself at the hotel for four days, but felt a strange disconnection from the events that were unfolding. I felt sheltered by God's grace and was thankful I was in Portland, not NY; in my hotel room, not an airplane. After watching TV incessantly, I went to a church to pray. My mom also went to a church to pray b/c I hadn't called to tell her I was ok.

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 7:36 pm HST]
I was living in Brooklyn NY. I was a senior and decided I'd cut school that day. I was waiting at the ferry terminal to go to Manhatan when the first plane hit. My friends and I were in shock. I started trying to call my mother who worked on the 43rd floor in tower 1. After 6 tries I finally found out she was ok and on her way out. Thank god she was alright. Never forget the numbing shock as I saw the second one approaching. One of my buddie's father was fdny and died in the second tower. Obviously hard, but everyone really became united after the attacks. Joined the Marines 6 monthes later.. felt I should do my part.
Patrick O'Reilly
MCBH Kaneohe

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 5:47 pm HST]
That morning, on September 11th I got up early because I had a flight scheduled to go to Mauna Kea to work on an emergency repair for an instrument on the IRTF Telescope. As is my habit, I watched the News on the computer. The good news that September 11 th was that this saved me a trip to the Airport. The bad news has entered the history books for ever.
Werner Stahlberger

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 3:48 pm HST]
It was early morning, I was up all night working on a computer project for college. I finished up and went downstairs to sleep in my bedroom. I turned on the T.V and was channel surfing until I came upon CNN where I saw a smoking building. Curious, I continued to watch, CNN reported that there has been accident, that a airliner crashed into the World Trade Center. At that time, CNN reported that it was a accident, while still in shock, a reporter was yelling that another airplane was heading for the other tower. As I watched, I could see the airplane coming into view and crashing into the tower. I could not believe my eyes, it was like watching a Hollywood movie, is was totally unbelievable. I seen it live on T.V. and will never forget the horrible event of Sept. 11 2001.
San Sasaki

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 3:40 pm HST]
my husband and i were on our way to the doctor when I heard over the radio about the first plane hitting one of the towers. I thought it was just an accident so i was telling my husband how tragic that was and then we heard a second plane, a 3rd plane and a fourth one. it was then we realized something was terribly wrong, we are being attacked! By whom? it was a day that had changed America and our way of life forever. As we celebrate the 5th anniversary of 9/11, we should be forever grateful to the men and women in uniform and to always pray for all the souls who have perished that day.

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 3:37 pm HST]
It was about 2330ish (JST) and I was the night shift maintenance control Chief at squadron HSL-51 @ NAF Atsugi Japan as part of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces. As we were doing ops normal routine maintenance on our SH-60B seahawks and getting ready for the next days flight schedule, the evening watch ran into maintenance and said "you gotta check this out on t.v.". So we watched the t.v. (CNN) in disbelief, and when we heard the Pentagon got hit, within minutes we went into "locked down", our squadron skipper showed up and gave the orders. It was the beginning of a 36-48 hour day in lock down at our squadron hanger awaiting the next order. No one could leave, and no one could relieve us. We were "the watch", til reliefs could relieve us a day or so later, "We were ready to fight"
Sheldon K. Kimura USN/CPO/Ret

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:49 pm HST]
I usually switch on the TV in my rushing out of the house on my way to work. I saw the marquee at the bottom of the screen "N.Y. Towers hit," something or other. Truth be told, I actually thought a small plane had been the cause. I recall talking to coworkers about the incident, but, I didn't listen to the radio or got to a TV set during the workday. I got home . . . and saw a jumbo jet hitting into one of the Towers on TV. Sadly, only then I realized the tragedy of that day. The next day I had a feeling "those guys" would be captured. We're still trying to get 'em. And we will.
Paul Ventura

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:33 pm HST]
I was on duty @Kapolei Fire Station. At around 4:00-4:15 am, our Communications Bur. issued an island wide alert for suppression personnel to get up and go the TV room, turn the TV on and await further instructions. In my 21+ years of Fire Fighting, this was the only time this ever happened. When I saw the 1st Tower burning, I thought that they were replaying the film from the Feb 1993 bombing, but it didn't look right. When the 2nd plane hit, we knew that it was terrorists attacking. When the Towers started to fall, I knew that fellow FF's were heading UP into the Towers on rescue missions. When the 2nd Tower fell, I knew that we lost a lot, a whole lot of Brother FF's and PD brothers also. We all knew that the world had changed from these attacks, and also the roles of the 1st Responders
Gordon W. Tamarra
87-923 Kulakoa St

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:28 pm HST]
The day before it happened I had just completed my Advance Noncommissioned Basic Course in Ft Lee, VA. Not scheduled to depart from VA till the 11th of Sep. I graduated on the 10th of Sep, went to the airport in Richamond, VA and caught the next flight out to Seattle, WA. On the 11th of Sep, that morning I was scheduled to fly home to Hawaii, my brother-in-law called us at home and told me to turn on the TV, I asked him why, I'm on my way to the airport. He told me "I don't think you'll be going home today. As I watched the News, I was in disbelief at what I saw on the News. I called my unit in Hawaii, to see if we were on alert status. My 1SG was glad to hear that I was safe and that it would be about a week before the flights to Hawaii would resume. Had I stayed on track, who knows??

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:15 pm HST]
It was an ordinary morning at work on Bolling AFB, a pretty fall day in Washington DC, when suddenly I heard our commander's voice over the partition: "May I please have everyone's attention?" Curious heads popped up from cubicles throughout the room; something in his tone said this was serious. "An airplane just flew into one of the towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. You may watch the news in the conference room." I thought what a terrible accident and returned to my work. In a few minutes our commander announced, "Heads up: the second tower has been hit." This couldn't be an accident. What's next? It wasn't long before we could see from our commander's office window thick black smoke billowing from the Pentagon across the Potomac River. We were under attack!

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:12 pm HST]
I was sleeping when I heard on my alarm radio that it happened. Now I am a sad and lonely giant person.
Sam Makesi KPT

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:08 pm HST]
I was in an 8AM comperative vertebrate anatomy lab at college in Kansas when a couple students came in to inform us that two planes had hit the WTC and another hit the Pentagon. I remember feeling panicked (we had family in NYC and at Westpoint, NY at the time) and all I wanted to do was pick up my baby from daycare and go home but I had a psychology exam the next hour and had to wait. It was so difficult to concentrate on that exam & I completed it as quickly as I could so I could go pick up my daughter. My husband had also returned from law school at that point so we just sat at home and watched the news pretty much all day and called all our family (although it took hours to finally get ahold of the relatives in NYC).

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 2:04 pm HST]
I was getting ready for work and a friend visiting from Australia was skipping through the TV channels. We saw the burning building and when we realized what it was I had to sit down. Right then the first tower went down, I cried. Then, I had to jump in the shower to get ready for work and I remember my friend yelling, 'The other tower just fell down mate'! I was totally stunned.

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 1:59 pm HST]
I was visiting with my daughter and her family in New Jersey. They live just 15 miles north of the World Trade Center in Manhattan. My son-in-law phoned and said to turn on the TV. We saw the second plane hit and knew, then, it was not an accident. My daughter's first job out of college was in the World Trade Center and I had been there. This was too close to home. When the buildings collapsed, I was horrified and thought to myself, "This is bigger than Pearl Harbor was." My granddaughter's elementary school went into immediate lockdown. My daughter commented that half the parents in her class worked in the World Trade Center. She also said that she had ten clients in the WTC. She could have been there, had she not been working from home that day. I'll never forget that day.

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 1:44 pm HST]
I was in the air on the 2nd leg of a flight from Honolulu to Memphis. Somewhere over Nevada, the pilot told us all flights over North America were being immediately grounded due to a national emergency, and our flight was being rerouted to Sacremento - the closest airport that could handle a plane of our size. A request to return to San Francisco was refused. When we were on final approach to land in Sacremento, a passenger next to me turned on his cell phone to get web news of the emergency. He said two planes had hit the World Trade Center. I asked him, "Two planes. one tower?" He replied "One plane, each tower." The passengers and flight crew were briefed on the whole story together in the terminal. It took one day to get to San Franciso, and another five days to get home.
Pearl City

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 12:57 pm HST]
I was living in Waipio Gentry at the time. I used to get up at 4:30 to beat the traffic on the H-1 into town. My sister called from the mainland right before my alarm was to go off and told me the news. I thought I was still dreaming. I remember the drive on the H-1 and all the cars with the drivers and passengers looking sober and listening to the radio to get more news. When I got to work at HMSA we spent the whole morning watching the live news on TV.
St. Louis, MO

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 12:35 pm HST]
I actually went to the airport to catch a plane to Maui. When I got to the airport, the airline personnel asked if I saw the news. I told them no. Usually, I listen to the radio in the car but it just so happen that particular day I had turned off the radio.

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 12:12 pm HST]
I turned on the TV, like I do every morning to check out the traffic report. While getting ready for work I could only hear the news reporter saying the craziest things. I stopped everything to watch. I could NOT believe it. Tears running down my face in disbelief. It was like watching a MOVIE… a really trippy movie, like it COULD really happen ONE DAY> but NOT really….. I went to work still in a daze, that’s all we did was watch the reports and cry. Knowing we could not STOP it. I personally at the time did not know anyone living in NYC, but I do now and they said it was the worst experience of their life. God Bless all.

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 11:23 am HST]
I turned on the news and I saw one twin tower on fire. I thought somebody had put a bomb. It was a "live" transmission. Then I heard that a commercial plane full of passengers had hit it, and another had hit the Pentagon. I ran to tell my husband, who was getting ready for work. We both saw the second plane hit the second tower, it felt so surreal, and then reality hit: that had to be a terrorist attack. We heard that there was a fourd plane that had been hijacked. We started praying for the President, and for the White House. We stood up paralized in front of the tv for hours . We both saw the first tower collapse, and later the second one. Later we heard the fourth plane had fallen in Pennsylvania.
Lilia Kane

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 10:23 am HST]
I was at home in bed. I had taken the day off to celebrate my birthday. My daughter in Indiana called and told me to turn on the tv. I was shocked to see the Twin Towers on fire. I spent the day watching every news report. It was a very sad day for me. Needless to say, I was in no mood to celebrate my birthday. I did a lot of praying for those whose lives were taken or affected by the events. As a side note: another sad 9/11 day for me was when Hurricane Iwa came ashore on Kauai and Oahu.
Miles A.P. Kahaloa
Honolulu HI

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 8:04 am HST]
I was working at an office in Florida when the radio announcer came on and said a commuter plane had just clipped the corner of the World Trade Center. He finished by saying that they didn't believe it was terrorist related. At that moment, one of my co-workers sarcastically said, "If it were terrorists, they would've flown a jumbo-jet into the side of the building." How sad that his quip turned out to eerily prophetic.
Kelly Shivery

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 7:55 am HST]
I was in Midtown, New York City, working at NBC that morning. I was scheduled to do transmitter service with my colleague, Bill Steckman at our office in World Trade One (North) on the 104th floor. Bill obviously didn't make it out but he did call earlier to ask why it was smokey and that he was going to start to turn the transmitter off to WNBC-TV. As it turns out, the first plane hit the building shortly before I was suppose to have been on the 104th floor. Instead, I found myself on the roof of the GE building, establishing a camera for the news and the world to see. I also spent the rest of my day making sure we got back on air (WNBC-TV) by purchasing/making arrangements for a temporary transmitter at Alpine. Seemed like the saddest and longest day where many of my neighbors died.
Genora Dancel

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 4:29 am HST]
I was sleeping after working late at a local paper in Ohio. I didn't have a TV and my dad was giving me a play-by-play over the phone. It seemed so unreal. I had to get into work and everyone was there, some wearing what they'd had on the night before. We rushed to get a special edition out, to let people know what was going on. We worked to get a full edition and at midnight, I was finally able to sit still long enough to comprehend what had happened. And all I could do was cry. I really felt like that day, we lost something. Our nation lost its innocence. But in the acts of humanity, of selflessness, we gained something wonderful, as well.
Jennifer Treisch

[Posted on September 6, 2006 at 3:19 am HST]
i was sleeping..my friend who lived in the mainland at the time...called me up to turn on the tv...i was half asleep and didn't even realize that it wasn't a dream..it didn't seem real....later..i went back to sleep...man..i was really tired...
Curtis Lee
Salt Lake