honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

The Honolulu Advertiser
A tribute to Bob Krauss

Advertiser columnist Bob Krauss passed away Sunday while recovering from heart surgery. The energetic writer spent decades chronicling Hawai'i's history and culture, from its passage into statehood to the annual flight of the kolea. He was an explorer in every sense of the word: he loved hearing about people's stories and taking trips around Hawai'i and the Pacific.

In his last column for The Advertiser, Bob wrote:

"I'm a storyteller. Open-heart surgery should give me a chance to write more stories for you. About two weeks from now I'll go in for surgery. If it works, I'll come back in about three months. Wish me luck. It's what keeps me going. Goodbye for now."

We will miss him. Please join us in posting a tribute to a great newsman.

We may use your comments for publication in The Advertiser. Please include your full name, area where you reside and an e-mail address if a reporter can contact you.

[Posted on May 22, 2007 at 5:15 pm HST]
I only remember Bob Krauss as a writer whom my mother (Mrs. J.M. Murphy)was furious with for having lifted her business letters from the Honolulu Better Business Bureau without her permission. Imagine her surprise reading them in his book "Here's Hawaii". Of course they settled.
Kristen Murphy
Eugene, OR

[Posted on October 19, 2006 at 10:10 am HST]
I was a first cousin of Bob's and knew him since he was teenager. Even then he was full of tricks, like haveing a really old car in which the seat buttons in the back were electrified so that sitting there one would receive a slight shock. He planned Hawaii reunion for several of us cousins in 1993 and saw his favorite places and it was just as great as you can imagine. We all are so sorry he left us just after another reunion at Lake Tahoe.
Gretchen Quie
Minnetonka, MN

[Posted on October 15, 2006 at 8:56 am HST]
I had the pleasure of first reading Bob's great columns back in the mid 50''s when stationed at Barber's Point. The pleasure was revived when I got a computer in 1997. I will certainly miss his great stories in the future. He was Hawaii's great ambassador!
Bob Furmanski
HaddonHeights, NJ

[Posted on September 27, 2006 at 8:23 pm HST]
Hi well i did not know bob for along time but i remember the first time i met bob i looked at him and said to my self wow Dillon that is your grandpa.when i went up to him i introduced myself and he was not like i seen i thought he was very nice.One time when i went to his house my aunty jenny asked me if i wanted to go on an adventure and i love doing that so i said yes.bob was so happy that i was interrested in doing that kind of things.he took jenny and i to south point we went places that i did not know that it was there.then we went to green sand beach i could not belive my eyes it was amasing.The part that i liked the most was when we stoped at a sign that said "tresspassers will be prosicuted".But that was one of the most funnest day of my life,but i never told him that it was fun
Sky Dacanay
Hilo,Hawaii

[Posted on September 22, 2006 at 12:00 pm HST]
It was always a real treat to read Bob's columns. I could just close my eyes and imagine his stories coming to life. As I read over all of the messages left by loyal readers, hearts heavy with grief and tears - I realized just what an impact his life had on so many people including my own. Thank you so much for sharing with us Mr. Krauss! Aloha
H. Simpson
Los Angeles, CA

[Posted on September 21, 2006 at 8:22 am HST]
From 1953 to 1957, I had a wonderful job as the advertising & public relations director for Hawaii Meat Company. When Bob & Kini Popo treked around Oahu - - proving they could survive on Hawaiian hospitality - - I delivered island grown Maile steaks to their campfire after a long day's walk. Bob's zest for life, his unique sense of humor, and interest in people of all walks of life made him a superb, insightful, and sensitive storyteller. He brought joy, understanding, and unity to his admiring readers. "Everyone has a story..." he would say. And, now, sadly, we are reading his. Heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and staff at the Advertiser.
Joan Linn Bekins
Belvedere, CA

[Posted on September 17, 2006 at 9:53 pm HST]
how many folks remember turning to the left hand column on page B1? we learned more from bob krauss about hawaii history, life & values. it's so sad letting you go to the mighty pen in Heaven; a hui hou,malama pono.
j kaakua
waimanalo

[Posted on September 15, 2006 at 1:28 pm HST]
Bob Krauss spoke at our Honolulu Pen Women's Writers' Conference last March. He read from his favorite columns and shared his incredible talent for writing history. I feel privileged to have met and worked with him, and the writers who attended his workshop were so thrilled to hear him. Coincidentally, I was just this week reading his 1960 book Here's Hawaii (with an intro by James Michener!), and amazed that in over 50 years, he maintained his incredible energy and humor, as well as his love for the people and culture of Hawaii. He was an icon and an inspiration. I will remember him fondly and treasure his work. The Honolulu Pen Women expresses its sympathy to his family.
Barbara Clemens
Honolulu

[Posted on September 15, 2006 at 1:28 pm HST]
Bob Krauss' passing on and passing over is a milestone for many of us who grew up reading his stories. His presence will be missed.
N. Buffins
Honolulu

[Posted on September 13, 2006 at 6:28 am HST]
I will surely miss all the great stories from Bob Krauss. He gave so much to Hawaii for so many years. I will always remember having a meeting with him and he was discussing about writing a book about Don Ho and was interested in my photos and stories abut Don. My deepest sympathy to Bob's family and the Advertiser. Maluhia Dolores Treffeisen
Dolores Treffeisen(Auntie Clic Clic)
Philadelphia, PA

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 11:01 pm HST]
I will miss you, Bob. Have a save last trip!
Ferdinand Karl
Vienna/Austria

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 6:16 pm HST]
I grew up in Honolulu, and I loved Bob Krauss's columns writing about the waterfront, the kolea, and the people of Hawaii. As I went away to the mainland for college and work, the Internet provided me the opportunity to continue reading his work. He always had a story to tell that revealed the richness of Hawaii's greatest resource, its people and the commmunity they build. I, like many, read his column saying goodbye for now, and even then his words expressed an incredible optimism. My deepest sympathy to his family, friends, and coworkers. Our Honolulu is diminished with his passing.
Blaine G. Saito
Washington, DC

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 5:41 pm HST]
Bob Krauss should have a State Funeral. He was our own Mark Twain. 20 years ago, as a confused malahini driving a taxi in Honolulu, I KNEW that I was really someplace very "different." Would I, Could I, ever be at home here? Reading Bob's columns taught me the things that every local resident should know if they wish to aspire to "Local." I came to understand the unique places, people, and cultures of Honolulu. But even more importantly, I learned to love Honolulu. I could never imagine living anywhere else. And I will never see that first kolea of the season, the Falls of Clyde, or the Kula Kai, our last Hwaiian Fishing Sampan without feeling great Aloha and gratitude to a great journalist and a very good man. Mahalo Nui, Bob. Mahalo Plenty!!! Cloudia "April" Weiss Charters
Cloudia Charters
Waikiki

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 2:49 pm HST]
Aloha As I read the last column Bob Krauss wrote, I couldn't help but focus on the ending of his story by saying, "Goodbye for Now". I thought it was kind of strange for him to write that passage. My parents would read the stories to us that he wrote daily as children and in my adulthood, his column would be the first I would read. I was so sadden by his passing, he was truly Hawai'i own and loved by many young, old, visitors and those who come to loved Hawai'i as he did. He wrote about many fascinating stories about Hawai'i and especially the kolea..May God Bless his family and for allowing him to be with us this length of time. Aloha Ke Akua Dr. Ku'uleialoha Kaneakua Patton Charleston, West Virginia
Dr. Ku'uleialoha Kaneakua Patton
Charleston, West Virginia

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 12:26 pm HST]
Aloha to Hawaii's "Papa". My mother turned me on to Bob when I was growing up. He was awesome. It seemed he knew everything or if not everyone in Hawaii. If not he could tell you who or where to ask. His descriptions of people and places were so vivid. He understood the island ways and could express them on paper (not bad for a Haole, yeah). Bob's articles have also given me a touch of home since moving to California last December. He was a great storyteller, story-gatherer, and a great observer of life. I shall truly miss his articles. I think it's time to dig out all my favorite Bob Krauss articles and put them in a scrapbook. I'm sure there are many of his readers thinking the same thing. A hui hou, malama pono.
Haunani Bray
Buena Park, CA

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 10:00 am HST]
aloha to "Tusitala"--teller of tales, following the rich tradition of Robert Lewis Stevenson, both beloved by the peoples of Hawaii for their stories about Hawaii. They remind us that Hawaii is a gentle daily walk with salt, sea, and koleas.
Melvia Kawashima
1015 Wilder Ave., Makiki

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 7:23 am HST]
Almost a decade after leaving Hawaii, I can still see Bob in that office, festooned with Hawaiiana, an antique typewriter given pride of place. (I coveted that office, badly.) He had the kind of unbridled joy and enthusiasm in doing stories that too many of us lose after our early years in the business. Each story, each interview, could have been his first. He never lost that sense of wonder and excitement. He also collected more leis, i think, than any other employee at the Advertiser - a measure of the fondness many people in the community felt for him, and his willingness to speak to anyone, anytime, anyplace if asked.
Ilene Aleshire
Eugene, OR

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 6:59 am HST]
I was shocked when I picked up the paper yesterday to read that Bob Krauss had actually passed. I had read his column a few weeks ago and never did it enter my mind that he would not be here today. Bob Krauss would be forever. Growing up in Hawaii, I was a faithful reader of his columns and whenever I saw something penned by him, I read it FIRST! His columns remained genuine over the years.....from the koleas to the ships to the unique people he shared with his readers over the years.......there will NEVER be another Bob Krauss. I cried yesterday as I read the articles about Bob....I lost a friend who I had grown to love through his writings. I'm waiting for that "last" column to appear....I bet there may be one yet. Aloha oe Bob. Hawaii will miss you.
Donna Tamasese
Honolulu, Hawaii

[Posted on September 12, 2006 at 4:12 am HST]
I was really sorry to hear about Bob Krauss. I have been traveling to Honolulu since 1973 and of course the newspaper of choice was the Advertiser so I am used to reading his articles. When I am back on the mainland, I read the newspaper on the internet mostly every day. After reading Bob's story about his surgery, I tried to e-mail him to tell him that I was remembering him in my prayers and wish him luck but it came back to me. For the Family, I am really sorry for your loss but I can tell you that I really enjoyed his stories as many others did also. He will be remembered by me with a great deal of respect. Caroleann Hawko Malden, Mass.
Caroleann Hawko
Malden, Mass.

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 11:14 pm HST]
Bob Krauss was a wonderful writer, good looking too. He got me interested in the kolea. Will miss him and his stories.
Carolyn Nakasato
Pearl City

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 7:10 pm HST]
My wife and I have been coming to Hawaii in winter since 1977. This past wintr we again spent 3 wonderful months, and of course I could never be without my daily paper. I will take the liberty to call him Bob even though I never met him, but through his column I fell as though I know him well. While back at home I still read the paper and column on the internet. We have lost a true historian and vivid story teller. We are all the poorer with his loss.
Roy B. Hauer
Edmonton, Alberta

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 7:05 pm HST]
Several months ago, while waiting for the Expeditions Ferry to Lanai, I wandered into the Old Lahaina Book Emporium located just off Front Street. While browsing through their collection of old books about Hawaii, I found Bob Krauss' "The Island Way". The book was inscribed, "To my dear friends Jeanne and Peach, who must know that paradise can't be perfect nor Hana quite as heavenly when the Pechins aren't present..." It had been presented to them, my Hana neighbors and friends, for Christmas, December 1977. Of course, I had to buy it! For the next several weeks, each evening I walked along the Big Island's rocky coastline with him on the recreation of the Ellis Expedition. I was there, walking every step along the way! What a wonderful gift he gave us all. Aloha & Mahalo, Bob Krauss!
Alberta de Jetley
Lanai, HI

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 6:37 pm HST]
I was so stunned when I learned that Bob Krauss did not survive the open heart surgery. I truly believed as he did that he would be back soon. One of my fondest memories of Bob was when he went with me to Nome several years ago to see the breeding grounds of our favorite bird the Kolea. Bob kept all of us entertained with his stories as we traveled around in Alaska. Bob will be missed by a large contingent of Kolea lovers throughout the state as we depended on him to keep us informed of their travels and their antics. I will forever be reminded of Bob when I check on the Kolea along my route through the cemetery.
Annette Kaohelaulii
Kaneohe

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 6:23 pm HST]
In my years with the Hawaii Ports Mariitme Council Bob Krauss is the only journalist ever invited to break bread with us and talk story. As a charter member of his union and a foundation of our waterfront, we knew him as "Brother Krauss". Brother Krauss knew the men and women of Hawaii's waterfronts and ships. He knew our work, our lives, our families, our stories, but most of all he understood and appreciated. Yes, he will be missed, but what a glorious voyage he had! In the still hours of the morning, just as the sun peeks over the horizon, we will still hear Brother Krauss and Capt. Dave Lyman singing sea chanteys on the deck of the Falls of Clyde. Fair winds and following seas... Neil Dietz, Secretary-Treasurer Hawaii Ports Maritime Council, AFL-CIO
Neil Dietz
Honolulu

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 3:46 pm HST]
as a lawyer, you get to meet and represent all types of clients. Some you like, some maybe not. I had the privledge of working with Bob over the years on several matters. most recently, a book he was planning to write on Don Ho. I should have paid Bob a fee for the stories he told and for the hours we spent together. He was a special person and will not be easily replaced. His love of these Islands and the South Pacfic, along with his knowledge and passion for its people and its cultures, has been pased on to all of his readers. Those of us privledged to know him and count him as a friend should committ ourselves to living lfe the way he did, a life of fun, dedication to the causes we believe in, and a love of people and places.
jeff portnoy
honolulu

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 2:25 pm HST]
I just moved from Lanikai, Hawaii in July to principal a school in Florida. When I was in Hawaii, I volunteered as Vice President of Public Policy for Hawaii Association for the Education of Young Children. I met Bob Krauss at the State Capitol on Opening Session day in 2005. He asked who I was and for my phone number at my school. The next day he called my school, came to visit me and the next day I ended up in his column. It was called If we all could have her as a Kindergarten teacher. It was a run of my day and it was great. I got a letter from a Senator after that telling me that if Bob Krauss found good it me it was very good. He also gave me rights to have his book republished, My Hawaii. I never followed through and now I cry with a sadness I cannot describe. I loved him.
Deborah Dahl
Florida

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 2:10 pm HST]
I've always felt that the greatest legacy is the stamp you leave in the minds and hearts of those who knew you. I never met Bob, but I knew him. Far from home, I check in regularly by reading Bob's column online, often laughing out loud in my office, just as I did as a teenager at the dinner table. He captured the essence of who we are, and where we come from. Truly, his loss leaves a Bob Krauss-sized hole in our lives but his legacy is assured through all of us who "knew" him. Travel well.
Erik Dierks
Vancouver, BC, Canada

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 1:19 pm HST]
Mr. Krauss was such an exceptional person. He started with the Advertiser, the year I was born. I loved reading his columns about the walk around Oahu, the origin of the shaka sign, the Falls of Clyde, his camping trips with his children, about ordinary people who did extra ordinary things, etc. Every time I saw a Kolea bird, I thought, what would Mr. Krauss say. He is irreplaceable. He had a knack of capturing the essence of everyday people. We were blessed to have known him and forturnate that he chose to live in Hawaii and chronicle "Our Honolulu". Kulia I ka Nuu, Kathie
Kathie
Kailua

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 12:58 pm HST]
Dear Bob: I believe you could read my "Angel Blessing" card that I send you last in heaven with angels around you. I always thinking you would be back to continue your interesting story-telling. I always enjoy reading your stories and impressed by your final one (it's sad it's the last one)!! Your're always being missed!! Aloha!!
Jen
Honolulu, HI

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 12:20 pm HST]
I have never met you personally but I can't believe you're gone. From the moment I had to read the newspaper for school, I always loved your column. From reading that the kolea's were back to finding out about the tiny cemetary on King Street, everything was exciting to read. I will miss your column dearly. It was a part of my daily routine for the past 20 some odd years of my life. Keep those stories ready, one day we all will be able to once again enjoy your column. God Bless.
Patty
Honolulu

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 12:05 pm HST]
Bob-God will read your column now and enjoy it as much as we always did. I sent you an email telling you to go for IT- the Operation- as it worked for me 3 months ago-and will work for you too. But the good Lord wants you now so we will just have to be a bit more patient until we also are reading "THE HEAVENLY NEWS" and your uptake on whats going on. God bless you.
Leo McDonough
Whitehall Pa

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 11:50 am HST]
aloha bob I've enjoyed reading your column. So many things I've learned and shared. my deepest condolences to your family and fond aloha to you. I will remember you
kikue chan
honolulu

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 11:21 am HST]
It will be hard to imagine The Honolulu Advertiser without Bob Krauss. When I worked with him, he always struck me as kind and incredibly patient in explaining Hawaii to new editors (like me) just off the plane from the Mainland. He never tired of telling stories and he always brought a unique perspective to every subject he covered. I am glad that I got to know him, even for a little while, and wish I could have talked with him one last time before he left.
John Hollon
Irvine, CA.

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 11:17 am HST]
It was with great sadness that I learned of Bob Krauss' passing this morning. I had the privilege of working with him for many years at the Advertiser. We occasionally worked together on fun stories, like the time two ultra-light pilots flew from Hawi on the Big Island to Windward Oahu. Krauss went to the Big Island to interview them before they left in their fragile craft. I did the same when they landed on the Olomana Golf Course. He later confided to me that he regretted not being able to tag along on their perilous journey over stretches of open ocean and mountainous islands. Bob never let personal risks deter him from doing just what he wanted. He knew he was blessed with the best job in Hawaii. So naturally he gave the blessing back to everyone through his stories, filled with aloha.
Robert Hollis
Orinda, Calif.

[Posted on September 11, 2006 at 11:12 am HST]
Even though I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob, I felt I knew him personally through the warmth of his writing. I wish he'd been my grandfather. He told a story once of a local sea captain whose boat was sliced in two at night by a larger ship that didn't even notice. He tried to encourage his men to hang on, but one by one they slipped beneath the waves. He reasoned that he'd have to swim, and used the wind and current to help him to Lana'i. What a wonderful example of personal courage, hope and strength for me, and for others with whom I have shared it. Thank you, Bob, for sharing so eloquently with so many, and fond Aloha.
John
Hawai'i Kai

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 10:43 pm HST]
Bob Krause’s beat might have been Honolulu but his stories were always about something much more universal, the human spirit. Honolulu is now a shade paler without him.
Stuart Yamane
Kaneohe

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 10:37 pm HST]
Bob: Thanks for all of your stories over the years. I'm sure the editor of the newspaper in the sky is happy to have a new columnist on board.
bruce
honolulu

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 10:25 pm HST]
Bob Krauss's columns were a gentle, charming oasis to enjoy with morning coffee. I particularly relished his Kolea stories that readers shared with him. What a wonderful writer he was and gratefully his works are available to snuggle into like a beloved uncle. Much love to his family. Aloha, Bob, A hui hou.
Mayra Vega
Honolulu

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 9:56 pm HST]
I first me Bob Krauss on Makali'i's E Mau Voyage in 1999 to Satawal. As one of the eldest in our group, he was often more energetic than us youngans. I vivdly remember him climbing up and down the ship ladders off the side of the Micronesian Coast Guard ship Independence to get to the dinghy, go ashore & do what he did best- gather stories to share with the people of Hawai'i. Our family & friends at home were so grateful to get the news of our travels taking Papa Mau Pialug home. One of the most interesting things I observed being around this witty 'elemakule historian at sea was that he typed all of his stories on an old typewriter - no computer in sight! He had a deep & passionate relationship with his typewriter. I really enjoyed listening to him type. A hui hou Bob! Aloha!
Kainani Kahaunaele
Wainaku, Hawai'i

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 9:28 pm HST]
Dear Mr. Krauss, I saw a kolea this morning while walking along the ball fields at Koko Head Regional Park and immediately thought of you. Wow, the kolea are back already and I can't wait for your column to tell me that somebody's favorite bird had again come back. Now I will never know. But I had to tell you that your birds are back. Me ke aloha pumehana.
Bill Jung
Palolo

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 9:25 pm HST]
Bob Krauss was a master story-teller and a marvelous writer. I imagine that he knew Hawaii, particularly Honolulu, better than any one alive today. And, he always, without fail, was some how able to come up with a most interesting tale to charm us with his written words. Yes, he will be missed.
Hank Soboleski
Kapaa, Kauai

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 8:53 pm HST]
Bob Krauss was among other things an enthusiastic bicyclist. Around 1980 he chaired a bicycle advisory committee to the Honolulu City Council. I was briefly part of the committee. I stopped him on the sidewalk a couple of weeks ago to reminisce. He said we'd been pioneers in our advocacy. Really he was. On this last visit we agreed that neither of us had ridden recently, but he had a little bike and a place in Volcano where he wanted to try it. When I read his last column a few days later, about impending heart surgery, I hoped the bicycle might end up being part of his recovery process when he got stronger. I meant to say as much in a get-well note. Instead you get this fragment of a eulogy. He was a fine man, and we were lucky to know him.
John Swindle
Liliha

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 8:47 pm HST]
Remember you from the old days in the neighborhood...Will always miss your stories. Glad you went for quality rather than settling for less!
kathy
kahala

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 8:18 pm HST]
Bob, you once wrote: "It's fun to hear stories about famous people of the past because the stories say so much about Our Honolulu when they lived." ...You now join a league of great men and women whose stories will shed light on Our Honolulu of yesteryear for generations to come.
Lorna Lim Wong
Chicago

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 7:27 pm HST]
my heart goes out to your family... your daughter.. your talented grandkids. it was so nice to meet you and talk with you at keolu. i still have that column on my fridge. you will be missed.
christa
downtown oahu

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 6:58 pm HST]
I read the last article that Bob Krauss wrote on Aug. 27 on line and hoped that he would recover fully so he could fulfil his wish to write more stories for his fans. The passing of an icon such as Bob leaves a void that can never be filled. I was born and grew up on Oahu and each time I returned home, I looked forward to reading his articles. Those that I remember the most were hiking the ancient trail on the Big Island which was a series. My mother saved each of the articles about the hike and mailed them to me. She also sent his articles about Hokulea. How can I feel so sad at the passing of someone who I have never met or even seen? His writing touched so very many people and helped me to feel a connection to my home though I live far from home. He is missed.
Vivian Medeiros McFadden
San Diego, CA

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 6:13 pm HST]
How I enjoyed reading Bob Krauss's columns! Farewell, Mr. Krauss. Rest in peace.
Christina Waldeck
Torrance, California

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 6:12 pm HST]
Bob had more energy and intellectual curiosity in his 80s than many of us had as young reporters. He loved Hawai`i, and he loved a good story. In sharing both passions, he left an imprint that few journalists ever achieve. Aloha nui, Bob, and a blessed voyage. We won't see your like again.
Saundra Keyes
Reno, NV

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 6:09 pm HST]
I gained such great knowledge and a wonderful appreciation of our own kolea, the Pacific Golden Plover. I looked forward to his columns each week, but especially loved those in which he discussed the plovers' arrival and departure. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm !!!
Ellen Huntley
Kailua

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 6:00 pm HST]
Bob was a marvelous man and I was honored to know and work with him for 8 of his 55 years at the Advertiser. He was a master story-teller and his enthusiasm for life was infectious. I know I am a better person for having known him and I am honored to have called him a friend. Aloha Bob.
Mike Fisch
Honolulu

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 5:57 pm HST]
A tremendous loss!! Hawaii has indeed lost a great story teller!! You will sorely be missed by many.
Herman Young
Long Beach, CA

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 5:45 pm HST]
Bob was the nicest individual and a great neighbor. Always waving "Hi" or "Bye" as we parked our cars as neighbors in the same residential building. The elevator rides to and from the parking lot we shared were never long enough when we rode together because I knew I'd hear another fanastic "short" story in person by Bob himself! He was truely a special person and will be missed by many who's lives he had touched just by sharing his wonderful stories reflecting his love of life, people and animals. Thank you, Bob!
Wing
Honolulu

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 5:31 pm HST]
I've enjoyed your column each time and you will be truely be miss by all your readers. You've shown a different side of the meaning of the Aloha spirt that non-local people don't fully understand; until they've read your articule. From Tokyo, Thanks Bob!
Sumio Nishimoto
Tokyo, Japan

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 5:14 pm HST]
Aloha Bob. Thanks for the stories of Our Honolulu Soar, Bob amid the Kolea Soar Aloha Bob.
Rodney Lee
Puunui

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 5:12 pm HST]
Bob is and that man of men he so loved being part of everyones life in the state of hawaii. he is now an angel for all of us
debra mickelsen
mainland/maui

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 5:03 pm HST]
I enjoyed reading many of his stories in the paper over the years. I also enjoyed reading many of his books and especially the book, "The Island Way", which he travels the ways of the early missionaries with Thurston Twigg-Smith and others. My family and I send our condolences to his family.
Brian Kanakuri
Pearl City

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 4:56 pm HST]
As a child, I’d hear the name of Bob Krauss invoked as my parents enjoyed his columns together over breakfast. We would often see him tooling around town in his convertible, long white locks trailing in the breeze. He drove with exuberance, exactly the way he wrote. His columns brought forth the exemplary from what others might overlook as ordinary. Reading his columns, I felt proud to be from Hawaii. Thank you, Bob Krauss!
Danette Kong Poole
Honolulu

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 4:47 pm HST]
Bob made a point of talking to the new kids in the newsroom, the interns, the clerks, those of us who weren't big guns on the staff. He took snapshots of us working, took an interest in us, encouraged us to pursue the wonderful profession of journalism. He loved his work and it showed in every word he wrote. Although he'd take us through the phone book each year, or liked to wax poetic about the Falls of Clyde and other maritime subjects, my favorite Krauss columns were about his family, or the regular folk he encountered. You could just hear him talking, noding his head, taking it all down like some modern-day Mark Twain. One of my favorite Krauss stories is how he spotted some fruit on a colleagues desk, thinking it was up for grabs. "BANANAS!" he squealed with joy as he helped himself.
Paula Bender
Hawaii Kai

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 4:41 pm HST]
I remember clearly reading Bob Krauss columns as a boy, and I'm no spring chicken. He was a top-notch story teller right way back then. And he could tell people off, too, as I learned when I forgot to give him first crack at the new Oahu telephone directory one year. Ouch! He loved writing that column each year. Bob will be missed by many for reasons as varied as the stories he told. Who knows? We may yet see a column on what the afterlife is like. If there's a way to file that story, Bob will find it.
Joel Kennedy
Hawi, Hawaii

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 4:36 pm HST]
Guts and optimism at it's finest. It's the wisdom you find only with a long and positive life. Aloha and Rest in Peace.
Rick Peralta
Ewa Gentry

[Posted on September 10, 2006 at 4:10 pm HST]
Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. His articles made our day. Thanks
The Pickards