Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, September 28, 2006

Lawyer says blood test clears coach

By David Waite and Mike Gordon
Advertiser Staff Writers

Frederick N. Rames of Wahiawa, left, appeared in District Court yesterday with his lawyer, William Harrison.

BRUCE ASATO | The Honolulu Advertiser

spacer spacer

A 65-year-old Wahiawa man accused of sexually assaulting two boys was examined by a doctor and had his blood tested within hours of his arrest and neither the tests nor exam found any indication that the man has a sexually transmitted disease, his lawyer said yesterday.

"This case and these charges are the result of an overzealous detective, police department and prosecutor's office," attorney William Harrison said yesterday.

Harrison predicted his client, Frederick N. Rames, will be cleared of the charges but said "... the taint associated with his name will never go away."

"Go talk to every body in (his) community, and they will tell you he could not have done this," he said.

Rames was charged Saturday with six counts of third-degree sexual assault in cases that involve a 7-year-old boy and a 12-year-old boy.

Police began their investigation after a routine medical exam last Thursday found that the 7-year-old boy had a venereal disease. The boy subsequently told police investigators that Rames touched him inappropriately in the bedroom of Rames' home on Holua Way in Wahiawa. Court documents associated with the case indicate that the child allegedly was naked at the time and Rames was clothed.

Jim Fulton, spokesman for the prosecutor's office, said his office could not say whether Rames was tested for venereal disease and what the outcome was.

"That would be evidence in the case, and we can't talk about the evidence," Fulton said.

Likewise, police through department spokesman Capt. Frank Fujii declined to discuss whether Rames was tested for venereal disease while in custody and what the outcome was.

"That's part of an ongoing investigation, and we don't disclose information that comes out of that process," Fujii said.

Rames was in District Court for an initial appearance yesterday.

District Court Judge Edwin Nacino set a preliminary hearing in the case within 30 days to see if there is sufficient evidence to advance the case to Circuit Court.

Harrison said after the appearance in court that the hearing has been set for Oct. 27. But, he said, the case will almost certainly be presented to a grand jury before then, eliminating the need for the preliminary hearing.

Harrison said Rames agreed, at the request of a police detective, to be examined by a doctor while he was being held in the cellblock at police headquarters and to have his blood checked for venereal disease.

"The doctor told him that she found no evidence of herpes or venereal warts and that the blood tests all came back negative," Harrison said.

Harrison said he has yet to be told what specific venereal disease the 7-year-old boy was found to have. He said Rames gave him permission to talk about the results of the examination and blood tests that were done on him while in police custody.

"You can bet that whatever it is that the boy has, they (police and prosecutors) were trying to link up with my client," Harrison said.

"I can only surmise that the boy, if he does have some sort of sexually transmitted disease, got it from somebody else."

If police had any evidence at all linking Rames to the boy's venereal disease, it almost certainly would have shown up in court affidavits, Harrison said.

Reach David Waite at dwaite@honoluluadvertiser.com and Mike Gordon at mgordon@honoluluadvertiser.com.