Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, January 11, 2007

Left-turn lane to be lengthened

By Robbie Dingeman
Advertiser Columnist


Robbie Dingeman answers Bureaucracy Buster questions on KHNL News 8 at 5 p.m. Wednesdays.

spacer spacer

Q. The Pali Highway's makai-bound left-turn lane that turns onto Vineyard Boulevard is terribly short. During morning rush-hour traffic, cars waiting to turn left back up into the left lane heading onto Bishop Street. Why can't the left-turn lane be lengthened by reducing the width of the median in front of the Nu'uanu YMCA?

A. Apparently, you weren't the only person to notice there was a problem there. State Transportation Department spokesman Scott Ishikawa said the traffic branch folks have been redesigning this intersection for the past year. He said a construction contract recently was awarded to Haron Construction Inc. to lengthen the left-turn lane on Pali Highway at Vineyard Boulevard, with work tentatively scheduled to begin next month.

Q. On Pauahi Street, between Nu'uanu Avenue and Smith Street, are two potholes on the makai side. I called the pothole hotline at least a month ago but nothing was done. I also wonder why Maunakea Street between Vineyard and Beretania is in such bad shape. Are they going to repave the whole thing?

A. After you called, city crews filled the potholes, according to Larry Leopardi, city road maintenance division chief. He said Maunakea from Beretania to Pauahi will be resurfaced as part of the ongoing rehabilitation of Beretania Street the North King Street to Alapa'i Street project but no resurfacing is planned for that part of Maunakea.

Q. Frequently, drivers on my side of the street do not stop even after I step into a crosswalk. What is the recommended way to report and document the violation? Is it enough to take a picture of the license plate after they go through? Does the pedestrian get any compensation for reporting these drivers?

A. Honolulu police spokeswoman Michelle Yu said pedestrians should call 911. If you see repeated violations, you should send a letter to police so they can investigate. Pedestrians are not compensated for reporting violations, she said.

Reach Bureaucracy Buster three ways:

  • Write: Bureaucracy Buster, The Advertiser, 605 Kapi'olani Blvd., Honolulu, HI 96813

  • E-mail: buster@honoluluadvertiser.com

  • Or call: 535-2454 and leave your name and a daytime phone number.