Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Updated at 7:08 a.m., Monday, March 12, 2007

'Chemical reaction' devices go off at UH dorm

Advertiser Staff

Students in the Johnson Hall dormitory on the University of Hawai'i-Manoa campus woke last night to the sound of explosions.

At 11:58 p.m., students reported explosion sounds coming from just outside the dormitory. When they went to inspect, they found plastic bottles on the lawn and in the dormitory hall and called police.

One of the students who found the bottles was injured when he picked a bottle up and tilted it back to look inside. When he did, police said a chemical spilled into his eye. He washed his eye with water immediately and was treated by Emergency Services crews on the scene but he was not transported to the hospital.

Police and the Fire Department roped off the area to investigate. Seven chemical reaction devices were found, five that had exploded and two that were disrupted.

No arrests were made.