Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Monday, March 19, 2007

Man charged in beating of 3-year-old Kalihi girl

By Rod Ohira
Advertiser Staff Writer


  • Never leave children alone in or around cars, not even for a minute.

  • If you see a child alone in a vehicle and if the child seems hot or sick, call 911 immediately.

  • Make sure all child passengers leave the vehicle after it is parked.

  • Get in the habit of always opening the back door of your vehicle every time you reach your destination to make sure no child is inside the vehicle.

  • Keep vehicles locked at all times, even in the garage or driveway, and always set the parking brake.

  • Tell your child's daycare center or baby sitter that you will call if your child will be absent on a particular day. Ask them to phone you if your child doesn't show up as expected.



    Source: Kids and Cars

  • spacer spacer

    Prosecutors have charged a 20-year-old man with the beating of a 3-year-old girl.

    Shawn Bangloy, who was charged Saturday with assault, was being held in lieu of $40,000 bail. His initial appearance is today in District Court.

    Bangloy was said to be the boyfriend of the child's mother, 19-year-old Monica Bianca Villa of Kalihi, who was charged Thursday with endangering the welfare of a minor.

    The child was brought to Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women & Children with "unexplained injuries," and the hospital notified police.

    Lt. David Kamai, head of police child-abuse investigations, said the child's injuries do not appear to be life-threatening but are severe enough to classify the case initially as a first-degree assault.


    A 46-year-old Wahiawa man was charged yesterday with punching a woman in the face.

    Florencio Sumaoang Cudal was being held in lieu of $11,000 bail for assault. Police said he punched the woman, 43, in the face Thursday at a friend's home, knocking her out.

    The woman reported the attack to police the next day after a doctor determined she had a broken jaw.


    Police and Fire Department personnel fished an armed-robbery suspect out of the ocean off Kea'au Beach Park around 10:45 a.m. yesterday after the man dived into the sea while fleeing from officers responding to a call in Makaha.

    Police said the 22-year-old man, wanted on two outstanding parole-revocation warrants totalling $22,000, didn't resist as he was taken aboard a Honolulu Fire Department vessel. He had spent more than an hour in the water.

    HFD had sent a boat and personal watercraft to the scene, responding to a police call for assistance.

    The captured fugitive, who has eight convictions, according to Hawai'i Criminal Justice Data Center records, was arrested for investigation of an armed robbery of an acquaintance yesterday.

    Reach Rod Ohira at rohira@honoluluadvertiser.com.