Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Updated at 1:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Witness saw suspects flee, turned over bag of weapons

By Dave Dondoneau
Advertiser Staff Writer

Witnesses in Hale'iwa told police three men fled toward homes in the area following a fatal shooting late last night in Kane'ohe.

A bus driver told police one of the men tried to get on his bus. The driver said he closed the door, and the man was last seen at about 11:40 p.m., fleeing toward homes on the Wahiawa side of the Joseph P. Leong Highway.

Tony Morlock, the caretaker for the residence behind Jameson's By the Sea restaurant in Hale'iwa, said he spotted one suspect, 35-year-old William Lee Freeman of Honolulu, and the other suspects fleeing their car on foot. Morlock is also the head of security for the hit TV series "Lost."

"I heard some commotion outside and it was getting louder and louder. I saw the three guys running up the walkway by the barn and I shined my floodlight on them and yelled: 'Wo-wo-wo!' and they just kept running," Morlock said.

"I was flashing my light on them and then toward the HPD to get their attention. The one they have in custody, he fell.

"They look tired, like they wouldn't get far. I know they have to be in bad shape because they tried to scale my fence, and it's barbed wire. I know this land. They couldn't get far. If they went in the water it's full of barracudas and Samoan crab, you don't want to be in there. Guaranteed they're still in this area somewhere."

The residence Morlock serves as caretaker for is on the fish pond that was once used to raise fish for Hawai'i's royalty.

Morlock said he feels lucky to be alive.

While heading outside last night he found a duffle bag containing at least one Uzi and three handguns. "There could have been more," Morlock said, "but that Uzi — they were loaded and ready to go."

Morlock, wearing white swim shorts, then picked up the bag and started walking toward police officers, who quickly had him lay on the ground as a precaution.

"I had a bag full of guns and the magazine of that one sticking out," he said. "I don't blame them."

Two workers at Jameson's restaurant were also detained when police first arrived. The workers were sitting in the parking lot following a fellow employee's birthday party. They were later released.